Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

341 - 353 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
18,767 Posts
Sorry for late post long day, got in my stand at 615 this morning at 7 ,2 doe run under my stand up wind , grabbed my bow a four pt was following one doe and a tall spike was following the other doe at 730 I looked behind me and a doe with a basket 8 following her basically corralled her took video of 8 under my stand watched them till 845 then lost track of them at 9am I look straight in front of me and a doe was coming to me 20 yards away I look behind her and this buck stopped 20 yards didn’t know I was there arrow went right through him he ran 40 yards and collapsed in the toughest part of my woods to get to , hung him for a hour then butcher,congratulations to others that scored today the bucks were running in sanilac
Nice buck! Congrats

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Sorry for late post long day, got in my stand at 615 this morning at 7 ,2 doe run under my stand up wind , grabbed my bow a four pt was following one doe and a tall spike was following the other doe at 730 I looked behind me and a doe with a basket 8 following her basically corralled her took video of 8 under my stand watched them till 845 then lost track of them at 9am I look straight in front of me and a doe was coming to me 20 yards away I look behind her and this buck stopped 20 yards didn’t know I was there arrow went right through him he ran 40 yards and collapsed in the toughest part of my woods to get to , hung him for a hour then butcher,congratulations to others that scored today the bucks were running in sanilac
Nice. Congrats to you

·
Registered
205 Posts
620FF9C9-2A2F-44DD-8D15-4B5CFDE7D764.jpeg
Sorry for the long story, but here’s a little more of the story on the the buck I shot yesterday and recovered today. First saw him last night about 500 yards away in the back of my field around 5:30. I glassed him and could tell he was a buck and saw 3 on one side, adding the brow I figured 4 on the one side, a shooter in my area (land of the 2.5 y bucks). I look to the right and see a Doe and a fawn. He starts going to the Doe, she runs away from him to the left side of the field. He follows the she runs back to the right. The buck then starts after the fawn, this thing wanted nothing to do with him, it puts on the afterburners and leaves him in the dust, bet that fawn hit 30 mph! Next thing, the Doe and her two fawns are back on the left side of the field, not sure where the second fawn was before this. Now they’re 300+ yards away from me and the buck heads towards them and they turn and head towards my end of the field. I’m watch this seen play out with daylight fading fast, probably 5:45 by now and I’m standing in my stand which is in a Pine tree. As they all get closer, around 125 yards, the Doe and her fawns make a break for the back of the field. The Buck stops chasing them and continues towards my end of the field, at this point I knew I was going to get a shot, as long as daylight held up. As he gets closer I lose sight of him because of the pine branches, he’s now within 50 yards somewhere. I try to keep calm, turn the light on the scope on and flip the safety off, something going to happen. I decided to sit down because there are more shooting windows. When I sit I see him about 35 yards away, and he looks in my direction, I freeze. He then starts walking away and I fight to find him in the scope, the hole I have to shoot through in the size of a softball and now he’s 45 yards away when I grunt him to a stop. He’s almost broadside, I start counting the light rings in the scope 20, 30, 40, 50- I knew he was between 40 & 50, wasn’t exactly sure at this point because I didn’t have any time.
I could see the outline of his chest, put 40 ring high and squeezed the silky smooth trigger on the Ravin, before I knew it the bolt was 50 yards away with the nock glowing. Heard the deer run into the brush then all was quiet.
124D1722-47D8-47D5-A9E2-423E7F0863F8.jpeg

That has to be the smallest hole I’ve ever shot a deer through ever.
He actually walked in front of my deer cam and I got a pic of him probably 5 seconds before the shot
4EE97872-99F8-4885-A00D-DBB4ABDA7AFB.jpeg

the time on my picture was 5:47pm, two minutes of shooting time to spare! The lighted nock flickered and started to get dim, I decided to get down after only 5 minutes and find the arrow before the light dies. At this point I didn’t know if I hit it or not, but found some hair about 6 yards before the arrow, and there was blood on the arrow.
A09037A7-D503-411F-83CD-F27C06F07402.jpeg

At this point I decided to back out and waited almost 2 hours because I had no idea where the deer was hit. Later, I looked for a blood trail for about an hour and made about 60 yards of progress. The first blood was watery and I was “sure” it was a muscle hit. At the end the blood drips were the size of a pin head, luckily I had a super bright light to see them. But then nothing, I walked a couple of trails 50 yards or so, no sign at all, I decided to wait until morning. I sat in a ladder stand overlooking the field from 7:30 until about 9:00, then climbed down and left my crossbow there at the base of the ladder so I could go though some brush if I had too. I made a wide swing thru some tall brush and the went to the last tissue from the night before. I then looked for more blood, never found one drop more. I was sure that Buck had a muscle hit, but I was going to go through the motions of looking. I then thought that if I was a buck, I would head towards the back of the field, so I headed that direction. I didn’t go 60 yards and “surprise surprise” as Gomer Pyle would say, there was my Buck! He didn’t go 120 yards after the shot. I was lucky no coyotes had touched him, I gutted him out, then rinsed him out to cool him quickly, then took him to the processor because of the warm temps. Boy I was so surprised to find that buck. I’ve also been wondering if the 3 blade G5 heads I use are part of the problem with poor blood trails. The other deer I’ve shot with that head have dropped in sight so trailing wasn’t an issue. The shot did go through both lungs, which is exactly as I planned, not sure why the blood trail stopped?

341 - 353 of 353 Posts