Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

281 - 300 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Now a spiker just walked by! Would have been a layup, but no regrets.

Great night in the woods!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
What a day!!! A day we dream of 365 and the 140+ mark we have broken so many times over last 20 years has been a long long dry spell until today. My brother did a bang up job on this buck. He picked up his shed last year as a 123-128”ish buck he let go at 15 yards with a bow! When the picture materialized in July he instantly recognized him. We typically dont name a deer until a few encounters. He called me in late October and said I just saw the buck of a lifetime and its the shed buck from last year. He rattled me and shook me deep. From that time on we called him either “Timer” as i have referred to him here or “Shakes” for obvious reasons. My brother matched wits with this deer for weeks having many many many encounters. I could hear the disappointment on Nov 2 when he had stood facing south in the stand for 4 plus hours and he sat down to take a drink and the buck slipped through the valley at 32 yards hot on a doe. He had one opening at 58 yards which is a shot him and him alone in this group is more then capable of making. He held off cause the buck had been so visible he was confident one of the four of us who were logging hours and hours hunting him would get a better opportunity. 3 of the 4 of us had encounters with him come last Thursday morning I quickly realized why we call him “shakes” when he was on a fast walk east towards me at 70 yards and the wind was perfect. I thought here it is its going to happen. He came 10 yards closer and turned south before heading back west! Encounters you dream of! Today he expired within 40 yards of that exact spot I had the encounter on the edge of the cattail bog his home and his bedroom! The raw emotion of the recovery was special something I will treasure for a long time! Got to enjoy that with my father and brother nothing better! One of the things that makes hunting here so special is the group and family mentality I couldn’t have been prouder and happier for my big brother felt like we all accomplished something magical today! My quest for the 700” club marches on he would have put me over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
What a day!!! A day we dream of 365 and the 140+ mark we have broken so many times over last 20 years has been a long long dry spell until today. My brother did a bang up job on this buck. He picked up his shed last year as a 123-128”ish buck he let go at 15 yards with a bow! When the picture materialized in July he instantly recognized him. We typically dont name a deer until a few encounters. He called me in late October and said I just saw the buck of a lifetime and its the shed buck from last year. He rattled me and shook me deep. From that time on we called him either “Timer” as i have referred to him here or “Shakes” for obvious reasons. My brother matched wits with this deer for weeks having many many many encounters. I could hear the disappointment on Nov 2 when he had stood facing south in the stand for 4 plus hours and he sat down to take a drink and the buck slipped through the valley at 32 yards hot on a doe. He had one opening at 58 yards which is a shot him and him alone in this group is more then capable of making. He held off cause the buck had been so visible he was confident one of the four of us who were logging hours and hours hunting him would get a better opportunity. 3 of the 4 of us had encounters with him come last Thursday morning I quickly realized why we call him “shakes” when he was on a fast walk east towards me at 70 yards and the wind was perfect. I thought here it is its going to happen. He came 10 yards closer and turned south before heading back west! Encounters you dream of! Today he expired within 40 yards of that exact spot I had the encounter on the edge of the cattail bog his home and his bedroom! The raw emotion of the recovery was special something I will treasure for a long time! Got to enjoy that with my father and brother nothing better! One of the things that makes hunting here so special is the group and family mentality I couldn’t have been prouder and happier for my big brother felt like we all accomplished something magical today! My quest for the 700” club marches on he would have put me over!

Does not get any better! Congratulations to you all to be able to participate in such a special event! Family and friends forever!

·
Administrator
17,409 Posts
Congrats John.
Didnt hear or see anything tonight out here. Going in a few hundred yards further tomortow to where that buck was headed in the dark this morning...
Nite all!
<----<<<

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

Love the pics

·
Registered
399 Posts

I LOVE that first pic in particular, with all the family standing about. Young one gettin in on a pic with that beauty. My sincerest congratulations to all involved, what a fantastic culture you have over there!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I LOVE that first pic in particular, with all the family standing about. Young one gettin in on a pic with that beauty. My sincerest congratulations to all involved, what a fantastic culture you have over there!
Freaking Rona sucks! Dad has some underlying stuff so we try to be careful rest of us living wide open playing high school football etc. Would have been a great huge group photo. All of Smithville came for sure!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

Awesome! Always enjoy your posts man! Congrats to your brother and tribe, your families deer are always fun to see but I love the whole family involvement in recovering. You guys are living the dream!

281 - 300 of 353 Posts