Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 80 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
OPERATION DEPLOY AND DESTROY

Put Operation Deploy and Destroy back in effect again this morning.

Before season set 12 mouse traps I only caught 3 before season much to my dismay, with a few more tripped. Didn't catch anymore. Removed 6 traps so I wasnt setting them off with my feet. Wasn't much activity so I got lazy with them.

Well low and behold this morning I had 1 further inspection revealed baitless traps and they got into my butter and sunflower seeds.

Normally bait with peanut butter, but didn't have any. I've had luck with seeds and peanuts before never used butter, but seeing it's a primary food source I lubed up my sunflower seeds with butter acting as a bonding agent to trap. It should make them work a little harder thus ensuring they get caught. How they can eat your bait not get caught is beyond me because they are touchy, A few pro tips I employed today set the bait further back on holder for accurate neck shot. Also I have two primary entrances they use to get in, I created funnels just to the side with water bottles ensuring they had to go between them and the wall.

If I'd known this I'd have brought scent killer for the traps and wore rubber gloves to minimize my smell.

#Victorprostaff
#DavidSunflowerSeeds
#LandOLakesButter

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
332497E5-1361-4C62-9CD3-69C6A087B65E.jpeg
Pictured is the dilemma of that elite class of hunter who holds out for only the biggest of button bucks. All of a sudden, after weeks of no opportunities, materializes not one but two quality nubheads in my north lane. Which one to shoot? But then in my haste to grab the binoculars to get a closer look I spilled my root beer. Before I could make the shot determination they slipped into the brush, leaving me to consume my final doughnut without liquid accompaniment.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
You have better restraint than I do NS..my lack of sightings this season would get me pretty tempted to get one of those for the wall (or at least a taco) :D

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Best day for deer moving since bow season in my area. I sat about 40 yds from where my last buck was taken cuz I've been seeing a group of doe's and fawns cruzing a couple of times to a bedding spot , small dia. slashings with grass and pines in the mix with beds thru out it. They follow a small shallow valley amongst the thick poplars that comes into the bedding. Anyhow they decided to stick to the thicker edge 25yds farther thru the thickest poplars instead. Thought real quick about moving closer to the thicket incase a buck follows them, should of went with my gut. 3 -5 minutes later I see movement same path as doe's..then see his white rack but could not %100 tell if it was a shooter that I'd be happy with.. to thick (lots of season left for me) shot rings out 30 minutes later from private land:lol:
Sorry so long winded, good luck all, I should still be out in da woods.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Good luck guys ,atleast it's cooler. Wanted to get back to fill doe tags ,but just not feeling it after shooting buck that can't go on the table. What a bummer. Maybe for the late doe.ready to start fishing .
What’s wrong with your buck that it couldn’t go on the table?

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
What causes deer hair to fall out in clumps? This is on my access trail behind a row of houses. One in particular that we have had issues with this year with their grandkids trespassing to small game hunt. Trying to think they didn't shot a deer off their patio. House is 60 yards away

20201128_093836.jpg
20201128_093842.jpg
20201128_093901.jpg

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
View attachment 609233 Pictured is the dilemma of that elite class of hunter who holds out for only the biggest of button bucks. All of a sudden, after weeks of no opportunities, materializes not one but two quality nubheads in my north lane. Which one to shoot? But then in my haste to grab the binoculars to get a closer look I spilled my root beer. Before I could make the shot determination they slipped into the brush, leaving me to consume my final doughnut without liquid accompaniment.
Good story. You had me until you said "without liquid accompaniment". There has never been a bottled drink that spilled every last drop when tipped. Plus, it's difficult to believe those imposter beaus were close enough to slip in the spilled root beer. They look much farther away...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Paid my lease this morning. The landowner is very particular. No rutted up bucks, no old horse head does.
Tender yearling doe or two fawns.
View attachment 609239
Good job Scotty! This stateland that borders private that I hunt once a week..I'm beginning to think may have a pretty good doe population maybe. My daughter and son in law was asking about some venison. Out in the NF land we could use more doe's in MY area's imo, but this stateland is looking good.. time will tell I guess. Lots of good eating you got.

·
Registered
175 Posts
61 - 80 of 252 Posts