Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
View attachment 800706 Happy Thanksgiving! Hunted an oak ridge this morning in Northeast lower. (Iosco) Just plopped a chair down on a high spot with an opening in front too the west and white pine slashings to the north, south and East. Had a buck come within 30 yards of me to the north at about 8:30. It was on top of me before I could see it and bolted away out of sight before I could raise the gun.
10 minutes later I had two spikes walk right up to me and they too bolted away.
I was about ready to call it for the morning when straight out of the clearing a bigger bodied buck was coming East right towards me. It turned broad side and I fired. Clean miss. I completely choked. I hammered the trigger like a shotgun and pulled it.
The buck sprints off to the north into the slashing and stops. I stand up and can see an opening to his upper shoulder. I try to calm down and gently squeeze the trigger. Dropped right in his tracks.
Super thankful on an appropriate day with this guy. It’s been three years since I’ve got a buck. It’s not super huge but for our area I’m pretty happy
Nice buck. Always wanted to get a buck on thanksgiving day. You won’t forget this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
11,824 Posts
27 degrees. NW 10-20 with snow showers. The bird is in the oven and should be almost done when I get back. Good luck everyone and be safe.
Natural landscape Wood Tree Plant Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Good luck to all who are out today. I’m looking for a new upright freezer. Is frostless more inclined to freezer burn meat. My little chest conventional freezer does not freezer burn stuff.
Yes, frostless is far more prone to freezer burn your goods than without. The “frost” is limited by a fan that tries to exhaust humidity from the freezer, and of course your food suffers. I try to keep only stuff I’m gonna cook within three weeks in the freezer side of my SXS kitchen unit, everything else goes into my chest freezer downstairs which I defrost one a year.

A chest freezer is better but if you have to go upright I’d avoid “frost free”.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
View attachment 800706 Happy Thanksgiving! Hunted an oak ridge this morning in Northeast lower. (Iosco) Just plopped a chair down on a high spot with an opening in front too the west and white pine slashings to the north, south and East. Had a buck come within 30 yards of me to the north at about 8:30. It was on top of me before I could see it and bolted away out of sight before I could raise the gun.
I was about ready to call it for the morning when straight out of the clearing a bigger bodied buck was coming East right towards me. It turned broad side and I fired. Clean miss. I completely choked. I hammered the trigger like a shotgun and pulled it.
The buck sprints off to the north into the slashing and stops. I stand up and can see an opening to his upper shoulder. I try to calm down and gently squeeze the trigger. Dropped right in his tracks.
Super thankful on an appropriate day with this guy. It’s been three years since I’ve got a buck. It’s not super huge but for our area I’m pretty happy
That looks like a nice big bodied buck to me! Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
27 degrees. NW 10-20 with snow showers. The bird is in the oven and should be almost done when I get back. Good luck everyone and be safe. View attachment 800737
Oh yeah nothing like the Cedar trees And swamps in the area. Some of my favorite places to hunt around Stevenson we're in we're in the dense Cedar swamps between the agg.fields

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well we sat till 9:30 this morning on the public, a ton of obese squirrels. One severely pissed off raven, that was about it, we had a long walk out and got on the truck & the precipitation started.

Dinners @4 so no hunt this evening….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
I got a picture of this really white skunk last night....now I'm in a stand about 200 yards from that camera and I can see the thing coming right to me. I hope they don't spray far enough to hit a person in a tree? Suddenly I'm curious. View attachment 800749
I got sprayed by a skunk, I don’t know if they can spray up a tree. But you can bet there as good as it gets at hitting a moving target!
Flight

·
Registered
11,487 Posts
27 degrees. NW 10-20 with snow showers. The bird is in the oven and should be almost done when I get back. Good luck everyone and be safe. View attachment 800737
My lanes are about that right.. tell a buddy seen a good one

How many points

Hell if I know, he looked good

Why didn't you shoot
Because I had two seconds

Buddy sat with me last year used to ag, he's like how do you do it, everything happens so fast 😂

Learned long ago don't bring binos you'll miss your chance

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Nice buck Andy

·
Premium Member
11,824 Posts
My lanes are about that right.. tell a buddy seen a good one

How many points

Hell if I know, he looked good

Why didn't you shoot
Because I had two seconds

Buddy sat with me last year used to ag, he's like how do you do it, everything happens so fast 😂

Learned long ago don't bring binos you'll miss your chance
That’s the widest one I have. You better be ready or it’s not gonna happen. I get lackadaisical sometimes but I try to stay alert.

Reactions: Former grunt

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I've been back in a tree in SE Ohio for awhile. Drizzle, sw wind 10-15, and 45 degrees. Crappy service

Decoy has scared me twice so far.
EVERY.DAMN.TIME!

Let your mind wander or paying attention to a noise/movement behind you and…..BAM!😂

·
Premium Member
11,824 Posts
Doe and fawn tonight. Man that wind was howling. Looking forward to the snow for the end of gun season.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts