Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
View attachment 800706 Happy Thanksgiving! Hunted an oak ridge this morning in Northeast lower. (Iosco) Just plopped a chair down on a high spot with an opening in front too the west and white pine splashings to the north, south and East. Had a buck come within 30 yards of me to the north at about 8:30. It was on top of me before I could see it and bolted away out of sight before I could raise the gun.
10 minutes later I had two spikes walk right up to me and they too bolted away.
I was about ready to call it for the morning when straight out of the clearing a bigger bodied buck was coming East right towards me. It turned broad side and I fired. Clean miss. I completely choked. I hammered the trigger like a shotgun and pulled it.
The buck sprints off to the north into the slashing and stops. I stand up and can see an opening to his upper shoulder. I try to calm down and gently squeeze the trigger. Dropped right in his tracks.
Super thankful on an appropriate day with this guy. It’s been three years since I’ve got a buck. It’s not super huge but for our area I’m pretty happy
Way to go……looks like a dandy !
Flight

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
View attachment 800706 Happy Thanksgiving! Hunted an oak ridge this morning in Northeast lower. (Iosco) Just plopped a chair down on a high spot with an opening in front too the west and white pine splashings to the north, south and East. Had a buck come within 30 yards of me to the north at about 8:30. It was on top of me before I could see it and bolted away out of sight before I could raise the gun.
I was about ready to call it for the morning when straight out of the clearing a bigger bodied buck was coming East right towards me. It turned broad side and I fired. Clean miss. I completely choked. I hammered the trigger like a shotgun and pulled it.
The buck sprints off to the north into the slashing and stops. I stand up and can see an opening to his upper shoulder. I try to calm down and gently squeeze the trigger. Dropped right in his tracks.
Super thankful on an appropriate day with this guy. It’s been three years since I’ve got a buck. It’s not super huge but for our area I’m pretty happy
Looks pretty big from this angle! Finally! A dead deer! Congrats.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Beautiful. Love my '52. Had a '48 flat band in 32 spl that I let go in a trade and regret it. It was well used but tight. One of the most accurate guns in iron sights I've seen.
I have a Winchester lever gun in a 32 spl, someone tried to refinish the receiver and it turned out a copper color. It is pretty sweet it’s the only reason I bought it 20 something years ago, I have never fired a shot from that rifle .
Flight

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Pretty good morning, deer were moving even though it rained for the first hour or so. A dozen does and three bucks, one of which appeared to be decent size, but it was too early to get a good look. Time to overeat and nap.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

·
Registered
14,557 Posts
Excellent buck !! For your area for sure and anywhere ! Congrats. Can't wait to kill one like em up there.
Way to make the 2nd shot count

Slow….. But pretty much expected that this morning as morning movement has been virtually nonexistent on my farm since early November.

Afternoons on the other hand have been fairly productive for deer movement so I’m still optimistic I can fill a tag today.
Good luck teammate!

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
I have a .32 Win Spl. Was my great grandmothers. I like taking it all over the place. Deer in Georgia, UP, Texas and Florida.
I can't find ammo. If you are not shooting yours, do you have ammo you'd sell?
Just asking!!
I think I have a half of a box that came with the rifle, the way things are now I’m hanging onto it like gold !
Flight

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
View attachment 800706 Happy Thanksgiving! Hunted an oak ridge this morning in Northeast lower. (Iosco) Just plopped a chair down on a high spot with an opening in front too the west and white pine slashings to the north, south and East. Had a buck come within 30 yards of me to the north at about 8:30. It was on top of me before I could see it and bolted away out of sight before I could raise the gun.
Awesome
Congrats

·
Registered
900 Posts
View attachment 800706 Happy Thanksgiving! Hunted an oak ridge this morning in Northeast lower. (Iosco) Just plopped a chair down on a high spot with an opening in front too the west and white pine slashings to the north, south and East. Had a buck come within 30 yards of me to the north at about 8:30. It was on top of me before I could see it and bolted away out of sight before I could raise the gun.
Congrats Andy!
Nothing beats a turkey day buck!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a .32 Win Spl. Was my great grandmothers. I like taking it all over the place. Deer in Georgia, UP, Texas and Florida.
I can't find ammo. If you are not shooting yours, do you have ammo you'd sell?
Just asking!!
Just inherited my grandfathers marlin in 32 special. I believe it’s a 1948 model. I’ve got one box of shells but I don’t want to shoot them knowing I might not find more!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving! Hunted an oak ridge this morning in Northeast lower. (Iosco) Just plopped a chair down on a high spot with an opening in front too the west and white pine slashings to the north, south and East. Had a buck come within 30 yards of me to the north at about 8:30. It was on top of me before I could see it and bolted away out of sight before I could raise the gun.
Congratulations Andy, he appears to be a just bit on the chubby side, what a beauty. And a great story to boot! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving guys, just got to moms house about to make some venison appetizers.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Took grandpa's .30-30 for a walk today. My son is carrying my dad's .30-30. Thanksgiving tradition. State land in Crawford County. Thought my son shot one first thing this morning, turns out someone else had the same idea we did. Not alot of deer sightings thus far, could have filled the freezer with squirrels though. View attachment 800669
That's a great tradition, ever shot a deer doing that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

81 - 100 of 124 Posts