Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
24,002 Posts
View attachment 868161
Here he is boys, I have seen some were around a dozen different bucks over the last 2 weeks. Haven’t laid eyes on this guy until today. Nearly shot a bigger one with the bow but couldn’t get a clean shot.

On a whim decided to come to work late and hunt this morning, they took off the last of the corn in the area after dark last night which helped the decision. Very active morning seeing a couple small bucks first thing, then a couple yearling does worked in front of me. I caught movement 40 yards out in some thick stuff and noticed a small 6 coming in but he had 2 others with him. Noticed some rack but couldn’t see much. He came into an opening to check out the doe fawns and I was debating whether to shoot or not. Well I quickly realized I was an idiot for thinking that and lined up the shot at 30 yards. He reared up on his hind legs, did a little circle and it was lights out. I then caught a whiff. You know that stanky tarsal glad stench. Cripes he is a rutty stanky deer and appears quite run down after the rut. Clinton County, over and out.
Congrats! He's a dandy.
(Better to smell his funk than be at work.)

· Registered
24,002 Posts
Suspected same trio all month.
Medium , small , and fawn (b.b.).
They had a fourth tonight.
They entered a cut on my right briefly , and browsed a minute. Reentered cover (behind a dirt mound on offside of my position where deer tend to cross) and there was a flash of a chase.
They came back to cross the cut with the newbie in tow.
Stayed in cover avoiding open ground and rye and green browse to emerge far left of my position crossing the trail directly in front of me. Newbie fawn got kicked for trying to follow too close as cover was entered again.

Picture without deer is where they crossed last. (trail/open lane farthest left ahead.) Pretty common trend with them.

No buck checking them out. Legs on at least one looked like they'd been bedded in the swamp. Vs bedding they went through going from my right to left beyond the open ground.

Cloud Water Plant Water resources Sky

Plant Snow Natural landscape Fawn Twig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts