Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

201 - 220 of 272 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Haven't went back & read all the posts for today's LFTS, I'm sure congratulations are in order but I haven't looked & I probably ain't going to today. So if you shot a deer great job & congratulations. I have been more pissed today than I can ever remember being. I made a post on here this morning sitting in the truck getting ready to head in after a great buck I had spotted yesterday morning bumping a doe. Once I finished getting dressed & was ready to walk back, I went around the other side of the truck to get my bow & head in. And It wasn't there, it wasn't where I put yesterday evening. At some point in the middle of the night some jackass with a death wish stole my bow out of my truck, while it was parked in my driveway. I live in the middle of nowhere on a country road and no I have never locked my vehicle while parked at my house. That part is my fault and it won't happen again. Yes I've contacted the sheriff's office & made a report. So guess I'll get to the archery shop this week & spend some money I really shouldn't be. Because I can't not bow hunt now, it's go time. Tried to calm down before I posted this so thanks for letting me vent. But I'd really REALLY LOVE to have 5 minutes alone with you scumbag. I'll join you guys next time I'm able to. Shoot Straight
Dang Norm I feel for you brother! I’m sure you will recover from this set back and blast a big rig !
Flight

·
Registered
26,514 Posts
Haven't went back & read all the posts for today's LFTS, I'm sure congratulations are in order but I haven't looked & I probably ain't going to today. So if you shot a deer great job & congratulations. I have been more pissed today than I can ever remember being. I made a post on here this morning sitting in the truck getting ready to head in after a great buck I had spotted yesterday morning bumping a doe. Once I finished getting dressed & was ready to walk back, I went around the other side of the truck to get my bow & head in. And It wasn't there, it wasn't where I put yesterday evening. At some point in the middle of the night some jackass with a death wish stole my bow out of my truck, while it was parked in my driveway. I live in the middle of nowhere on a country road and no I have never locked my vehicle while parked at my house. That part is my fault and it won't happen again. Yes I've contacted the sheriff's office & made a report. So guess I'll get to the archery shop this week & spend some money I really shouldn't be. Because I can't not bow hunt now, it's go time. Tried to calm down before I posted this so thanks for letting me vent. But I'd really REALLY LOVE to have 5 minutes alone with you scumbag. I'll join you guys next time I'm able to. Shoot Straight
I have a Mathews Conquest Pro, 29" draw, 70 lbs that you're welcome to. We could meet in Parma.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The biggest buck of the couple I saw came by at 40 yards. Kinda poor light at the time so the screengrab sucks. He was about a 120" main frame 8. Split G2 on the left he will look great in a year or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Dang Norm, sorry to hear that. Its a pretty crappy world we live in when you cant even feel comfortable leaving something in your truck in your own driveway. Hope you're able to get back up and running quickly and get after those monsters you're seeing.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
This is unbelievably sad. I mean really... what’s this world coming too. We have some real low life pieces of s#%t living among us.. it’s very sad and unfortunate. Heaven forbid a guy just works for what he wants. I’m sorry to hear that namrock. Very sad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Well I'm checking in for my daily failure report. It was like 3 stooges today.

So, I set up in a tree stand that I've noticed from a distance (from the tree that I'm normally in) a nice buck seems to have a pattern there around 6 o'clock. Of course, a little before that I start second guessing myself and I really have to pee, so I climb down. I pick up an errant bolt that I had dropped from above and put it back in its quiver. I do my business. I zip my fly. I then zip my backpack - I had switched gloves and forgot to close it before my climb down. It's right then that I notice the two nice does that watched me do ALL of that and didn't decide to spook until the backpack zipper. They were right in a shooting lane from the stand, probably about 40 yards.

Next I fuss about a little bit, pace, look at other spots, consider just going to my normal tree, and eventually say f- it, I'm going right back up into the stand that I just came down from. Wouldn't you know that about 15 minutes later, the buck that I was trying to jump in this stand came wandering out, across the field, from directly underneath my normal perch. He never got within 120 yards.

Last light and I see three does right in a shooting lane. I calmly range them, set my scope on the biggest, and fire. First arrow slung at a deer from the new bow! It sounded like a solid hit so I waited a few minutes (not long enough, I'm sure, but I wanted to try to find the bolt while I had enough light to locate it).

So, I still haven't found the bolt. I haven't picked up a blood trail at all. My headlamp died and it's overcast.

First thing in the morning, I'll be back here to see what I can see. Second thing is that I'll be buying lighted nocks.

If I did hit the deer, I sure hope that I find it, but I'm SOL for tonight in that long grass with no headlamp.

SMH

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
324 Posts
Got up to camp this morning and sat from 2 until dark on state land in Antrim county. Didn’t see squat and haven’t seen squat all year. First year up here so still trying to find the deer.

·
Registered
18,242 Posts

So, I set up in a tree stand that I've noticed from a distance (from the tree that I'm normally in) a nice buck seems to have a pattern there around 6 o'clock. Of course, a little before that I start second guessing myself and I really have to pee, so I climb down. I pick up an errant bolt that I had dropped from above and put it back in its quiver. I do my business. I zip my fly. I then zip my backpack - I had switched gloves and forgot to close it before my climb down. It's right then that I notice the two nice does that watched me do ALL of that and didn't decide to spook until the backpack zipper. They were right in a shooting lane from the stand, probably about 40 yards.

Next I fuss about a little bit, pace, look at other spots, consider just going to my normal tree, and eventually say f- it, I'm going right back up into the stand that I just came down from. Wouldn't you know that about 15 minutes later, the buck that I was trying to jump in this stand came wandering out, across the field, from directly underneath my normal perch. He never got within 120 yards.

Last light and I see three does right in a shooting lane. I calmly range them, set my scope on the biggest, and fire. First arrow slung at a deer from the new bow! It sounded like a solid hit so I waited a few minutes (not long enough, I'm sure, but I wanted to try to find the bolt while I had enough light to locate it).

So, I still haven't found the bolt. I haven't picked up a blood trail at all. My headlamp died and it's overcast.

First thing in the morning, I'll be back here to see what I can see. Second thing is that I'll be buying lighted nocks.

If I did hit the deer, I sure hope that I find it, but I'm SOL for tonight in that long grass with no headlamp.

SMH

Call your shot. You took it. You should know where it hit because it was "the" shot.
When you don't know , why is that? (No , you're not alone when it happens.)

Pack zipper.
Leaving stand to whiz.
Dropping stuff.
Dying headlamp.
All fun options. With options to them.
Funnier to watch than participate in if hunting is a priority.

Target buck under opposite stand you are not in is a lesson in odds theory. And can be easily tested by changing stands again.
Would he have been there if you were? (And not dropping stuff and climbing up and down and working zippers.)

·
Registered
205 Posts
That is a sad story, why do people do stuff like that. If you can use it, I have. Matthews switchback XT 30” draw? 65# that I haven’t shot in a couple of years since I switched to a crossbow after shoulder surgery. Let me know if your interested.

·
Registered
963 Posts

SMH

Good luck Macs, I think it's time for you to get your first deer!

But instead of lighted nocks, buy a second flashlight and spare lithium batteries for both your lights and keep them in your pack.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Finally my first sit of the year on our new Hillsdale farm, lasted one and half hours, wind completely shifted and started blowing into my bedding area, packed up an hour early and drove an hour home. So bummed. Oddly, driving home covering lots of Hillsdale countryside on the road, didn't see any deer in the fields, was just surprised. Hopefully this week will be good, good luck to all!

201 - 220 of 272 Posts