Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8:00 and I might be the only one out today, the alarm went off at 4:45 and it’s was pouring rain so I went back to bed. I’ve been out for a hour and it’s pretty quiet out here, was hoping the birds would be drying off out in the field’s but that hasn’t been the case around me. Thinking about heading back to the house and grabbing breakfast and hitting a couple national forest spots I’ve been wanting to check out mid morning.
Flight

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spotted some birds in a field down the road so I circled around and I set up straight behind them on Huron national forest land. They have hens so it’s a long shot, they gobble at a dog barking but won’t answer the call, second day I have seen them in the field so it’s worth a try. You sure do find some strange stuff in the woods.
Flight
C719913E-D5B1-43F6-BB10-B390EE23A219.jpeg
E2A5C05F-F602-49A6-8E13-3D5AF69692AA.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hen worked off to my south and drug the Tom’s with her, I walked 3/4 of a mile back to the truck and drove back around to the other side and I couldn’t see them. On a small 40 acre piece now that I have seen birds going into before, it’s quite and all I’ve found is a carving on a tree from back in 1999.
Flight
A0A13A0B-7381-4CCD-B07D-EE8F1617E4F7.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I'm set so let's see what happens.just grabbed an old hen decoy to use. I don't normally hunt turkeys late in the day so not sure what toexpect?
View attachment 765765

Sent from my SM-G892A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Don’t expect much gobbling, I’ve killed a couple birds after 2:00 pm. One gobbled 1 time and the other one came in silent, the first bird was when I was much younger than I am now and still shot jakes. The other was a two year old, I don’t know if age has anything to do with it but it’s food for thought. Good luck out there, I’m just about ready to call it a day myself.
Flight

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ok I'm set so let's see what happens.just grabbed an old hen decoy to use. I don't normally hunt turkeys late in the day so not sure what toexpect?
View attachment 765765

View attachment 765765

not sure when shooting time ends over in MI but I’ve often found they seem to have a witching hour between 5pm - 7pm if you can get one to gobble they usually show them selves. Set up close to a roosting area and call sparingly ever 10 mins or so. Young birds often try to intercept hens on their way back to roosting areas before more dominate toms beat em up when they get there. Shooting time here ends at 7pm so if one gobbles work him enough to get him excited enough to show up before shooting times come to a close.
Nothing sucks worse than having to case up and head home leaving a hammering tom that was on his way in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts