Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if anything is biting in Lexington harbor (perch, steelhead...)? Or is it just too cold for the fish to bite?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
There may be some skim ice in the harbor with the recent cold snap.Things were slow up that way last week.If its still open water steel and browns should be biting.Emphasis on the should be :help:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks stinger. I was thinking of heading up that way on Sunday. I have never caught a brown or steelhead, any tackle tips? I have used jointed rapalas casting for kings and I have a mepps spinner that I hear might catch steel.

If anyone know about the water surface conditions the info would be welcome. Thanks

Dan

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
If I were to fish the harbors this is what usualy works for me when I fish there.Casting I use little cleos in the 1 oz size in a variety of colors.Firetiger,chartruse and chrom,blue and chrome and glows in orange and green.Bait preferances would be steelhead or salmon spawn fish under a float and sometimes the bottom.Large emerald shiners will also work either way tightlining or bobber fished.Waxies under a bobber also.There is a large place with many good areas along with a long jetty or breakwall on the north side and short one on the south near the boat launch.Posibility of getting whitefish from the north breakwall this time of year and also a species that few if anyone targets.Good posibilty of catching some decent perch in there also from the docks near the front and out by the gas dock.Fishing off the docks at the back of the harbor can also be productive for browns and steelhead and thers always the posibility of catching a stray salmon in there this time of year.I have seen it happen so you`ll never know.This harbor produced some crappies and pike also at times so theres alot of variety of fish in there.Also worth mentioning that the fish when biting do better very early in the am but they are caught in the afternoon into evenings also.Good luck and be sure to post a follow up report if you can.
Aaron

·
Banned
3,519 Posts
A wee bit farther north in Port Sanilac today, the ramps were still in but the harbor was about 3/4 covered in skim ice. Part of the north wall had ice hanging from it and the railing starting about halfway out. Didn't take a walk out there, but not a soul fishing from either pier. A bit warmer weather predicted for the weekend, so it should all melt away, but extreme caution should be taken if venturing out on the piers, nonetheless.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help guys...I think I will give it a shot on Sunday as it is supposed to be a little warmer. I will post a report and let you know how I made out.

Dan

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Mags said:
A wee bit farther north in Port Sanilac today, the ramps were still in but the harbor was about 3/4 covered in skim ice. Part of the north wall had ice hanging from it and the railing starting about halfway out. Didn't take a walk out there, but not a soul fishing from either pier. A bit warmer weather predicted for the weekend, so it should all melt away, but extreme caution should be taken if venturing out on the piers, nonetheless.

Fished P.S. this morning with nothing going on at all. Lots of skim ice, but you can find a few spots to fish. I did the old " ice shuffle" out on the north pier and decided the risk was not worth it. I saw one fish jump, probably a brown. A few other guys were there with similar results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't make it out yesterday...was a little under the weather and the 32 degree temps and rain wouldn't have helped much.

Hope to make use of all your advice before the ice comes. Thanks. Again.

Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got out to lexington for a few hours today. nothing going on out there. didn't get a dink. still open but some of the boat wells had some thick skim in them. little chilly but a nice day anyway.

Dan

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Thanks for the report DAN.Where abouts did you fish and what types of bait were tryed?Also were there any fish caught by anybody out there?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stinger,

sorry about the delay. I was fishing off the low slips on the north side of the harbor. I had a worm under a bobber on one rod and was casting spoons and a #3 mepps on the other. there was one other guy out there when I arrived but he hadn't even had a bite. I am not sure but I believe he was fishing shinners on one rod while throwing spoons on his second. Unfortunately I didn't get out till around noon so that didn't help. sorry that I don't have anything better to report. take it easy.

Dan

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
As soon as there is safe 1st ice fishing for browns should be superb.I know the fish are in there.Rook thanks for report.
Aaron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts