Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
I have heard of people using nets at the lakeport beach and the beach and outside of the harbor.They catch them on wax worms sometimes so I know they go in there.The problem is you cant usualy see them because the water is always muddy this time of year.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
There have been times in past years that my sons and I have picked up smelt out of the harbor working off northeast inside corner dipping off the rocks. Not a real run so to speak of but enough for a dinner or two . You could also try the creek a few miles south of Lex. Hammered them there a few years back around tax time.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joker, is the creek you refer to have public accsess or private because in my wonderings over there seems everything is private. Don't want no conflict when my kids are with me.:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
It is possible to catch smelt in the Lexington Harbor from time to time. You will have more luck grabbing your bucket and net and walking along the shore until u find some of the great creeks running into the lake. There are probably 20 at least per mile of beach and if the water is running from them you can dip the creek or the lake in front of it and if you get lucky and hit the right night you may be in for a real treat! Over the last several years the lake levels have been lower, and spring has been dryer, so the creeks have not had water to attract the smelt. DNR theory holds that they just spawned either in the rocks along the shore, or further out in deep water. I have no idea where they went, but I do know that we have water running from all the creeks this year and nature has a habit of taking advantage of a situation when it can. I will keep be looking for them in another week or two and will keep you all posted on results.
Good luck!
Mike

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Clean your PM box out daddyduck.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Nope. Better delete any unwanted sent items then go into your folders and clean them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts