Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You would think that using cleos would work in the spring just like in the fall, but I have found that it really doesn't for some reason. The main bait of choice in the spring seems to be wax worms.(plain very small hook) Spawn also takes quite a few fish traditionaly in the spring. This is under normal circumstances, which seem to be changing. I say this because the steelies are no longer being planted at Lexington. ( stopped 2002) This is why so few steelies were caught this past fall and winter. You may run into some browns or a stray steelie but the DNR has messed up the Lexington fishery a bit. If you do go, use very light line.... four pound test works really well in the spring.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Best bet is waxies and spawn sacs. Next would be body baits ...bombers -yozuri's - rapala's..... anything resembles a bait fish like smelt or minnows. A silver and blue cleo will work periodically.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I think the fishing in lexington harbour is better in the spring then in the fall,for sure less crowded all the salmon guys are gone,I've to wait many times at the ramp for guys to land there fish before I could motor out. Along with waxies and spawn try night crawlers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts