Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This friday I plan on fishing Lexington for browns/steel (Kingfisher2's post got me fired up) and I have a few questions for the experts since I have never done this type of ice fishing before. I have recieved some great info through PM's but I would like to get more input. Never can get enough of that.

1) What is the bait of choice at this point? Minnows, wigglers/waxies, or spoons? How should I rig?

2) What type of line are we talking? I plan on using my walleye ice rods. Would 4lb be alright? Lighter or heavier perhaps?

3) I have been told the harbor is a uniform depth for the most part - Are these fish suspended, right near the bottom, or right under the ice?

Thanks in advance for any info, feel free to PM me if you dont want to post.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
1) waxies on a jig. Silver/blue cleo tipped with a minnow...1/8
size.

2) 4 will work but don't horse them. I use 6# myself.

3) Depth varies throughout the harbor. hang out near the
mouth of the harbor or about 50 or so feet our from the gas
docks. Running the depth finder yesterday, we marked fish 4
5 ft. down in 7 ft. of water.

Good luck. I'll be up there Sunday. Stop and see Mullins for the
latest on the harbor.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Art, I usually fish 1-3 feet off of the bottom depending on the depth. I have found that the deeper the water the better the fishing, don't quite know why that is, could just be in my head.:eek: Don't be afraid to drop a small spawn sack down under a float, they can be productive from time to time. Most of the fish are usually caught on wax worms but I will throw a little bit of everything at them with one rod while the other rests with a minnow. Can't say that I have caught one this year since I haven't tried, but thats what has worked for me in the past. Good Luck and post your results.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
i learned something sunday with kf2, you needa gaf. i only had 4 lb test line and was worried about it. the fish made about 4 runs. thanks to the guy with the gaf.;)

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Recalling my conversation with Poarbear, he was still fishing with waxworms. That was my first trip out and got zilch. Last year, I found a more subtle motion worked the best. You just have to experiment and see what the other guys are having good luck on.
Steelhead are finicky at times as we all know.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Indeed.

Thanks for the input, folks. I looked at the temps forecasted for Lexington last night and decided to pass, it is quite a long drive from East Lansing to freeze my arse off. Even if I wasnt affected by the temp I was told that bitter cold temps could shut the fishing down somewhat. Sometime over the winter I will be sure to get over there.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
SH, I don't know if anyone tried it at Lex but last year up here at the tip of the thumb we did good on small trolling spoons, stinger scropions, Jr streaks, etc. tipped with minnows. Find bottom, reel about 6 inches of line in then jig slowly up and down. We would also let it rest for a min and sometimes that would get them to bite and also banging the spoon on the bottom kicking up mud worked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts