Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Leupold VariX-III 1.5-5x20 in excellent condition that a good friend is interested in buying, but no idea how much to ask for it. It is a good scope that I used until recently. What do you think is might be worth?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this is the old VariX-III from the mid 80's, not the VX-III or VX-3. I paid $300 for it about 12 years ago or so thinking it was the VX-III, and slightly over paid for it.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I have a Leupold VariX-III 1.5-5x20 in excellent condition that a good friend is interested in buying, but no idea how much to ask for it. It is a good scope that I used until recently. What do you think is might be worth?
If you don't need the scope and he's a good friend, just hand it to him and tell him it's an early Christmas present. Or tell him you'll trade him for a bottle of good bourbon or something you're into. Let him decide what "good" is.

I'd rather give stuff to friends and family, if they can use it. Or Goodwill if they can't. Beats the heck out of listing stuff online and dealing with the frustration of all the low ballers and tire kickers wanting you to bend over backwards to facilitate a sale.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning toward something like this.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or you could trade him for a good quality fixed power that you might have a use for
Perfect idea. He has an old Weaver 4X with a post & crosshair I'd like for an old Savage 99.

Reactions: alaska86

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Sounds like an excellent match for you. And he will still be getting a great deal.
What caliber 99 ?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like an excellent match for you. And he will still be getting a great deal.
What caliber 99 ?
I talked to him, and he wouldn't do a straight up trade. We settled on scope for scope with him throwing in some small pistol primers. The rifle is a 99r in 300 Savage,

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've used the 300 Savage in the past, and need to get back to it. I'm just disappointed that Hodgdon recently discontinued IMR4320, so I'll have to go back to other powders.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Well since this is your post, I don’t feel bad about hijacking it about the .300 Savage. Reloading is something that I’ve always been interested in, but never followed through with. I started hunting with it in ‘69. Lately it’s been a safe queen. Only take it out on those blue bird type of days

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have five rifles in 300 Savage. Four are Savage model 99, and one is a Remington 760. The only ones I've hunted with are an F model from 1957, and an E model from 1961. I shouldn't have sold that last one.:( I've gotten to an age where I need to scope a couple of them to hunt with them, but I still have fun at the range with the ones with metallic sights.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Now that you mentioned the 760, I’ve been using that or a 7600 carbine in .30-06 predominantly for the better part of 40 years. They tend to rattle a bit, but always dependable. I never had a 99, nor do I remember ever shooting one, but none the less a classic. And 1957 was a good year. A rifle/shotgun, Savage 24S I believe, .22 over 20 gauge was one of my bigger regrets selling. We had a lot of miles together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts