Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone had an experience good or bad with thermal trackers. One On sale at Cabelas now. I’m sure the deer body will still be warm an hour later but wondering if blood droplets would cool too quickly. I’m color blind and hate always asking for blood trailing help. Thx in advance. Will

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
A blood trail would cool off almost instantly. Perhaps a large pool of blood might stay warm longer but not within the normal waiting time before tracking.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would a spray bottle of peroxide help spray it on suspected blood and if it foams good to go if no foam not blood ...just a thought
Thx T2. Yep. Been toting peroxide a couple of years now in the truck. It does help. I also tried the multi colored flashlight but that did not seem to work very well.

Reactions: Tryin2

·
Registered
988 Posts
A blood trail would cool off almost instantly. Perhaps a large pool of blood might stay warm longer but not within the normal waiting time before tracking.
This is pure speculation my brother. I waited almost an hour and put a thermal tracker on blood on snow last year and was very recognizable as a blood trail.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Bought a thermal imaging cam off Amazon for $300-400, it works good as a tracker, but I have used it more or less to find/show efficiency losses in windows, furnaces/heat ducts, etc.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I never thought to try my TI camera before. I have a very expensive Flir that i use to search for trapped moisture from flooded structures but never thought to use it on a blood trail. will have to give it a try next time i shoot one just to see what it does.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have an older LTO tracker and it easily differentiated blood from ground.

I actually forgot to use it during the track, but turned it on after finding the deer and the blood still showed easily.

Conditions were about 40 degrees and time from shot to using unit was 30 to 40 minutes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input on thermal imaging. I think I will give it a try. Will report later this season if I’m fortunate enough to use it on a blood trail.
- Color Blind Melon Chitlin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts