Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to put together a "budget" flip over shanty and picked up a Fish Trap II fairly cheap. While inspecting it, I found some significant holes in the bottom back end of the tub. After doing some research, I found a ton of different ways of repairing these holes . I figured this would be a perfect time to perform an experiment to see how well some of these ways would hold up:idea:. Here is my process so far;

Hole #1: For this hole I used Fiberfix from Home Depot. This product is a fiberglass/resin premixed patch that requires a little bit of prep before application. After a little sanding and cleaning, I applied the patch as directed. I put a UV light on it to speed up the cure time and it seemed to harden up pretty good. Ill be going back and sanding it and applying another patch to the small hole next to it and repeat the process.

Hole #2: I decided to see how well I could plastic weld and what size holes I could fill. I picked up a cheap Plastic welder kit from Harbor Freight. The kit came with everything needed to fix the hole (iron stick, mesh sheets, repair sticks, and wire brush). The mesh screen seemed to go on pretty easy. Once I had it in place with plastic spot welds, I filled the outer edges with the provided repair sticks. I still need to fill the entire screen, but it seemed pretty solid when I was letting it cool down.

Has anyone else tried to repair their own sled with either of these ways? Any tips or tricks you would recommend? I will keep updating with progress until my "budget" flip over is complete. Tight lines everyone. Attached are the pictures so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
I think i might consider putting a couple 1-4s one across the back one across the front ( width), then two more one on the right, and one on the left (length), and then get a pair of skies, and secure bolt them to the 2 long boards. skies can be obtained from goodwill, salvation army for $5, and just cut them to length. I dont thin the wood would add more then a lb. of weight, plus the sled would pell a little easier on the skies, and you would never do any additional wear to the bottom ogf the tub I have a sled I use for fishing and deer dragging. This year, when dragging my deer into the garage to hang, on the way out I realized I had a blood trail so, I have a hole finally in the tub, So I may put skies on it,and get a new one for a deer drag mext year. my thoughts. I think you could do the ski thing for about $7

1 - 2 of 2 Posts