Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats everybodys opinion of certain duck species that are often the brunt of jokes back at the boat ramp. example buffies and spoonies.
why is this? Is it taste? ease of decoying?
i dont see many people bragging about limits of buffs.

my thoughts: ducks taste like ducks, how you cook it is key in everything. So I dont buy the bad taste thing. ease of decoying, i wish all divers and puddlers acted like them.

So whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
ducks taste like ducks, how you cook it is key in everything.
I disagree with that. I find that some ducks I've eaten deffinately taste better than others and most species I've eaten have a flavor at least a bit unique from other species. Some of them have been just plain bad. I'm sure with some creative cooking you can make almost anything taste good though.

Al

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
hmm.. I dont know I have yet to see a duck that has been shot at be easy to decoy. Now find a private pond in mid season thats holding birds and those are easy to decoy.
I have not heard anything about buffy's being easy but I hunt pudle ducks mostly. I do know that buffy's taste good they are 3rd from the top of my list to eat.
Teal
Malard
Buffy
I cant coment on wood duck I hear its great but I would need to shoot one to find out. :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I LOVE a good Buffie-Shoot, and there ain't many prettier ducks than Buffies either!

It's all in the preparation, I cooked a couple of Ruddy's this year too, VERY dark meat... and quite tasty!

But, of course, it's hard to beat a woody or a FAT mallard for table fare...

:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Best eating divers would be Cans and Redheads.

For puddle ducks.... it's hard to beat a woodduck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I didnt make it clear on the point of my thread.
I know some ducks taste better than others. I wasnt trying to get a culinary update.

The point I was trying to get at was why dont buffs and spoonies get any respect? Most parts around the country with good duck numbers, those 2 are always last resort birds.
I was hoping to get some reasons /excuses why. I guess in Michigan we can be duck poor at times and we gladly welcome any bird that decoys.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BHB

i guess you've never hunted places where buffs are thick and had them swim in your deeks all morning long. most times they'll come straight in. Or been in a marsh with smiling mallards, their fairly eager to decoy.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Coot

My neighbor will eat, as many as I can bring and I do have to say it dose taste good. But now when they start eating the gizzard I wont go that far.
:D

·
Registered
720 Posts
...get a kick out of a new hunter in a layout rig just blasting @ coot.
They get all worked up thinking they're just slamming the ducks.
We quickly point out their mistake:p
As far as table fare, some ducks rank higher but for shooting, they all get my respect.:D

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I just took this photo at the subdivision pond down the street yesterday, the first day it was open from ice:

How can you not respect these ducks? They are one of the most beautiful black and whites out there. I think size is the issue for most people. If you are looking for meat don't shoot buffies. When I was 18 my hunting partner and I ate nine buffies at one sitting. That was after all day in the marsh, though. If I know there are only buffies I shoot buffies. If I know there are bills and ringnecks I'll pass on buffies. Almost every duck I know has swum stupidly in to my decoys at one time or another. Just depends on how much they have been shot at. We have had buffies on our lake that are unapproachable and will not decoy. Tell me they are an easy shot when you have 15 buffies buzzing your decoys and you forget to pick your duck and flock shoot:D

(I notice nobody is touching the topic of spoonies:p)

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Stacemo,
God that's a great picture of those buffies, but what are those two ugly trash chickens in the foreground............are you awake Branta?:) ;) :p

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Originally posted by just ducky
Stacemo,
God that's a great picture of those buffies, but what are those two ugly trash chickens in the foreground............are you awake Branta?:) ;) :p

:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
the only black n white I see in that photo are the two CG's!!

If I wanted to eat mud, I just reach down and grab a big ol' handful of fishpoint marsh muck. I wouldn't bother wasting a shell on a buffy. Ditto on the spoons.

O.K., I'm a big fat liar! We all have moments of weakness - especially on those blue bird days. (and don't even tell me you've never shot a coot! - tastes more like the west side muck in saginaw bay vs. the east side buffy!! :p

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Actually my partner shot a beautiful pair of Buffies in North Dakota last fall. And he did it on purpose! We were seeing lots of various birds that day, but he was looking for a good bird to add to his mount collection. They were huge (for a buffy), full-colored drakes, and they'll be beautiful on the wall.

I've eaten a few before. Not my favorite, but they're not bad if cooked right. Kind of like shooting woodcock when pat hunting.....fun to shoot at, but not my favorite to eat!

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Sure you eat them...Rrrrraaaauuught! :eek:

And the recipe for Buffies is "just like cookin' liver n' onions"-

where you throw the meat out and eat the onions, right?!;)

On woodcock - not so much like sulfurous marsh muck Buffies. more like canadian crawler. both in texture and taste!!

PM me and I'll give you a good recipe for Mergs and 'rants!! (wouldn't know anything about the later, wasn't there, didn't see anything...) JK :p

recipe includes; one shovel, one part "freshly turned over" earth,
one or more recently deceased carion...
:D :D :D :D :D

feelin' saucey' today! :p

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Maybe it’s just me but buffies were one of the best meals of duck I had last season. Cooked on the grill wrapped in bacon. Of course this was a deer camp so everything tastes better :) Don’t worry Branta we had some geese that night as well cooked the same way but it wasn’t the same I hadn’t shot it that day.
This season in deer camp I hope to have filled both my tags during archery season. Preferably before duck season opens so I can spend every day of that week on the lake hunting birds. Marsh at both ends of the lake and rafts of divers in the middle. Man I can’t wait.
Is it hunting season yet?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Buffies are pretty good if cooked right, wrapped in bacon cut in small cubes and grilled.
Never shot a Hollywood, so no opinion on these birds as far as table fare but I would not mind a nice drake in full plumage for the wall.
Buffies are a blast to shoot as well. My sons both thought they were pretty good shots to kill buffies on the fly.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I will shoot buffies if the bigger ducks arent flying. There not bad eating, but the hollywoods Ive eaten them and they taste like dog s**t, wait I think the dog doodoo tastes better.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey labo14941: WHATS YOUR ADDRESS:D

Good discussion. every spoonie i've eaten, been quite a few, taste better than any bill, ringer, and buff i've had.
As far as looks go, a drake buffie is about as gorgeous bird that flies, and a drake spoonie aint too shabby either, in its own special way;)
like i said in the beginning, any bird willing to decoy is welcome belly up in my spread everytime.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts