Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
5181 - 5200 of 5203 Posts

· Registered
9,123 Posts
I like that perch decoy!
It does look pretty good. I’ll keep these for now until I can get some of these handmade decoys everyone is jigging. And by this time next season they’ll be in the hands of a kid getting into the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

· Registered
4,205 Posts
It does look pretty good. I’ll keep these for now until I can get some of these handmade decoys everyone is jigging. And by this time next season they’ll be in the hands of a kid getting into the sport.

I was going to warn you about the dark side but I feel it’s already too late.
Before you know it, that one spear has turned into a dozen. Your shelves and end tables will slowly become covered with decoys from favorite carvers.
You’ll start watching for estate and garage sales that may have spearing gear.
I’m really looking forward to your inaugural trip. When I see that “first pike” post, I’ll know the transformation is complete.

· Premium Member
284 Posts
Before you know it, that one spear has turned into a dozen. Your shelves and end tables will slowly become covered with decoys from favorite carvers.
I’m really looking forward to your inaugural trip. When I see that “first pike” post, I’ll know the transformation is complete.
The rabbit hole is deep....deep.....DEEP!

· Registered
9,123 Posts
If you’re gonna go you gotta go all the way!!!

I’m already looking at band saws, foredom’s and have researched quite extensively elaborate realistic crankbait painting that I can crossover to fish decoys.…I’ve been building jigs and lures since I was 10 years old and jumped in with both feet fly tying about 7 years ago when I had a resurgence into steelhead fishing. I’m also an avid waterfowl hunter. Ive got two Labrador’s that trained myself. I love to make things and the itch will not be scratched until I carve, paint and spear a fish over my own decoy. I already tie flies from birds I harvested that my dog retrieved. It takes everything full circle and there’s nothing more satisfying than that! I’ve wanted to carve my own duck decoys for awhile now….these tools would bridge both activities….it could get uglier here….

Arthropod Insect Event Wire Audio equipment

Yellow Beak Feather Grass Terrestrial plant

Beak Plant Feather Wing Terrestrial plant

Feather Razor Tail Wing Beak

Feather Wing Tail Fish Close-up

Green Audio equipment Circuit component Indoor games and sports Electronic component

Musical instrument Wind instrument Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Drinkware

Shoe Wood Seafood Safety glove Fish

Window Event Grass Glass Tail

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Rectangle Tints and shades

· Registered
2,760 Posts
You are talented enough to easily make your own deeks. It’s quite satisfying!

· Registered
487 Posts
If you’re gonna go you gotta go all the way!!!

I’m already looking at band saws, foredom’s and have researched quite extensively elaborate realistic crankbait painting that I can crossover to fish decoys.…I’ve been building jigs and lures since I was 10 years old and jumped in with both feet fly tying about 7 years ago when I had a resurgence into steelhead fishing. I’m also an avid waterfowl hunter. Ive got two Labrador’s that trained myself. I love to make things and the itch will not be scratched until I carve, paint and spear a fish over my own decoy. I already tie flies from birds I harvested that my dog retrieved. It takes everything full circle and there’s nothing more satisfying than that! I’ve wanted to carve my own duck decoys for awhile now….these tools would bridge both activities….it could get uglier here….

View attachment 880046

View attachment 880040
View attachment 880041
View attachment 880042
View attachment 880043
View attachment 880047
View attachment 880048
View attachment 880049
View attachment 880050
View attachment 880051

Awesome job on those lures and flies! I can't wait to see the decoys your going to make! Bucktail/mariboo fins? Scotty nailed it the hook has been set deep on alot of us. The good news is we don't have to drive ourselves to counseling in the off season, we can charter a bus ... My problem is spears

· Registered
487 Posts
Nice! How much ice? Wonder if it would do 8-10”?
Today had probably 10 inches. It has been a good saw it's only ever cut ice. I think 3 years ago I won it at a company Christmas party drawing. It will cut 3-- 24 by 40 inch spear holes thru 12-14 inches of ice and still have 3/4 of the battery left. Never put oil in it and after bringing it home dry it and put some wd40 40 on chain so it doesn't rust

5181 - 5200 of 5203 Posts