Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post em' up with a general location, guided or non-guided, public or private land, license info, what ever else you want if anything! You don't have to give coordinates or any location info if you don't want. A State or Province would be nice though...although not needed.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
UPTracker,

Great idea! I've been wondering the same thing. I'm wanting to go to IA in the not too distant future.

GH

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Might be pre-mature just cause most outstate gun seasons in prime states-(Iowa/Ohio, popular MI outstate hunts anyways) start in Dec. but there should be some bow kills!?

Missouri was Nov. 15th and have not seen any on here and I know a few guys went.

When is Illinois gun opener??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nothing so far in Florida, I have only been out once though.....still too hot for my taste.

When Jan/Feb comes around and the temps are in the 60's I will head up to the panhandle with the new PSE and hopefully post pics of a Florida MONSTER buck (140lbs).

I will be doing some New Jersey muzzleloader in a few weeks and also may com back to Michigan too.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I hunted a day and a half (3 sits) in Logan County, Ohio and was fortunate enough to harvest this guy with a bow.

I hunted all year in MI and was fortunate enough to harvest this guy with a shotgun.

·
Registered
235 Posts
SE Nebraska
Bow
Nov. 3
Public Land/Do it yourself
85 degrees with a 35 mph wind
Tag cost - 185.00 and You get an extra doe tag.
Got this one on the third day.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Might be pre-mature just cause most outstate gun seasons in prime states-(Iowa/Ohio, popular MI outstate hunts anyways) start in Dec. but there should be some bow kills!?

There might be a cause and effect there. Maybe a later Firearms opener should be tried in Michigan for a 5 year trial?

·
Registered
53 Posts
[/IMG]

It was taken with a camera phone, I forgot my digital that day, so the quality isn't real good.

I took him 11/22 in NE Indiana hunting a small patch of woods connecting cut bean fields. He is a 9 pt. with an 18" spread. The farmers hog scale weighed him at 163 dressed, I'm not sure how much the innards typically weigh, so I don't know what he was on the hoof. He was all by himself and wasn't even interested in the group of 6 does 30 yards away. I don't think he was rutting at all, or was done. His neck wasn't swollen at all and the glands on the inside of his legs were clean, not brown and odorous like a buck's usually are this time of year. In Indiana you have to check every deer and a DNR check station, you don't even get your tag until you do, just a temporary transport tag. The DNR officer pried his mouth open and looked at his teeth. His back molars (sp?) were ground down to the gums and two were missing period. The CO said he wasn't an expert at aging deer, but sees quite a few and figured mine was really old.

After caping him out, I cut him up and pulled an old shotgun slug out of his hind quarter. It had been there at least since last year. There was no hole in his cape near the slug and the meat had grown back all around it, just a bit of scar tissue in the area.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My Dad put this beast down on the opening day of Indiana's gun season... What a buck!!! :yikes:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Heres a couple of velvet bucks my wife and I took back in September in North Dakota.

·
Registered
10,802 Posts

Missouri was Nov. 15th and have not seen any on here and I know a few guys went.

When is Illinois gun opener??

Illinois opener was last friday the 21st. Next thursday thru Sun (4-7 Dec)
is second shotgun and first ML seasons.

I saw a 150" plus buck with a nice kicker off the right side G2 or G3 two days before the opener when we were setting our stands in IL. Kicked him up 15 yards in front of us with a doe, but did'nt see him, or any other shooters during the first three days. Am headed back on tue. for the second season.:)

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
[/IMG]

It was taken with a camera phone, I forgot my digital that day, so the quality isn't real good.

I took him 11/22 in NE Indiana hunting a small patch of woods connecting cut bean fields. He is a 9 pt. with an 18" spread. The farmers hog scale weighed him at 163 dressed, I'm not sure how much the innards typically weigh, so I don't know what he was on the hoof.

After caping him out, I cut him up and pulled an old shotgun slug out of his hind quarter. It had been there at least since last year. There was no hole in his cape near the slug and the meat had grown back all around it, just a bit of scar tissue in the area.
That photo is good enough for me!

I don't have my Cabela's scale in front of me, but IIRC, you would add about 40 lbs. for his live weight. Just an estimate, though.

Amazing how these things survive so many accidents and attempts on their lives!

Great buck and great story!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Headin down to Kansas on Monday for the rifle opener. Hopefully in about 11 days I will be able to add a pic to this thread. Good luck all.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I hunted a day and a half (3 sits) in Logan County, Ohio and was fortunate enough to harvest this guy with a bow.

I hunted all year in MI and was fortunate enough to harvest this guy with a shotgun.

Logan Co? I have hunted there a couple of times myself. I have cousins that live in E. Liberty and have 8 acres I have hunted w/no success.

If you'd be willing to, can you PM me some details on your hunt? I'd be interested to learn more.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It was very slow in Illinois this year, but i was lucky enough to take this guy. Had my sights set on a bigger one, but this was one of only two shooters we saw all week between 4 guys. Oct 24, 10pt, private land. Notice the poison ivy?...Yeah..I was covered in it 3 days later.

I shot this buck in NW Ohio on Nov. 2nd. 9pt private land. Got him cruising through a funnel connecting two tiny woodlots. Very little cover in this area and not many deer.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
For my money, I'd take any one of them. Thanks for sharing folks, nice deer, all of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts