Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sun. at Cotton Road, I found 5 big mudpuppies dead on the ice, for those of you that dont know, they are protected. There is a fine, I am trying to find out how much it is. They are not to be kept, or killed. I get soo angry at the DUMB A$$ES who kill them, just because they are "ugly", or because of the wives tale that they only eat fish eggs. The truth is that their diet consists mostly of crayfish and minnows. I for one wont hesitate for a second to call the RAP hotline on anyone I see keeping or killing a mudpuppy. I think that others should do the same, I cannot stand to see wanton waste of any animal, especially those that are federally protected.

Just wanted to vent. I hope to see how others feel on this subject.

·
Registered
822 Posts
2 dead ones on the ice in New Baltimore also. I think people would put em back if they knew better. Sometimes they will hang out in the hole and try to get the minnow, all you need to do is put your bottom weight on and tap em with it, then they are on their way.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I saw a HUGE one down the hole at SANG on Sat.,,,& I saw about 200 last year,,, one thing I know,,, they might eat "dead" minnows or crayfish,, every one that I've ever seen would have a hard time catching a snail,, they don't move all that fast.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
I feel the same way as you mallardtone-man. Last time out with my 10 year old son, he spotted one down the hole. He said “oh my goodness dad, there is a big lizard down there” One of the biggest ones I’ve seen, probably around 20 inches. I think they are truly fascinating creatures. A little on the ugly side and a little slimy but fascinating just the same.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I saw two dead on the ice at SANG Saturday. :mad: There should be a sign at the DNR booth with a big picture and big bold letters stating they are PROTECTED!

I had to tap one on the back with a spoon (no hook) to get it to swim away. Worked for me.

·
Banned
7,550 Posts
I never understood why some people kill just for the sake of killing one of them. This has been going on for a lot of years but I think there are more around then there were 25 years ago?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would take a more laid back approach. As most of you have said, many people don't realize that these "ugly" things are actually a federally protected species. Instead of calling RAP on this, I would make the person aware that they are protected. Thats, if I were actually lucky enough to witness it happening. Then, on subesequent run in's with the same individual(s) with the same happennings, I would consider RAP then I suppose. Just my worthless two-cents lol

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Not that I am for killing Mudpuppies just for the fun of it, but I don't believe they are a protected species. If you look in the Guidebook there is actually a season for them. It's not open during the winter, but as far as I can tell you can keep 10 a day others times of year. If anyone has links to a page regarding their protected status please post it. Thank's...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
here is the most important part to that link that is of importance now:

"If a mudpuppy is caught during the ice-fishing season, the law requires its release back into the water. Mudpuppies are actually salamanders, which are protected under state law. They cannot be taken out of Michigan waters from Nov. 15 through the last Saturday of May. Those caught by anglers typically are 8-12-inches long."

this is directly from the link posted by gone fishin..they are "ugly" but neat creatures... only my opinion.. :p

·
Registered
505 Posts
It sure looks like there is an open season on them. Its spelled out pretty clearly...but what would people do with them? And yes...there do seem to be more of them than years ago....

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
I believe some people use salamanders for fish bait. Perhaps it's the same with mudpuppies (again, during their open season)...

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
yes, some people use them as bait for walleye and the like, most often referred to as waterdogs. I remember readin about it somewhere. I have no problem telling anyone i see catch one to put it back and tellin people they are protected, i don't see why anyone would kill em just to kill em. I caught a MONSTER one last year, they are one of the cooler animals around if you take your time and not read into the hype and wive's tales about em.

steve

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've caught three in the last two years and have returned them all to slither another day. What works good for getting rid of them in your hole (if you have a fish trap or similar shanty) is to take the long pole that runs down the front side, stick it down in the water and lift them up, they swim away rather quickly once they get taken for the little ride!

Zob

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
They make good pike and bass bait (when in season). I use a rubberband to hook them-don't get the chance very often as they are not as readily available as most bait.

I wonder if some people confuse them with gobys. I'm all for killing all of them (gobys) you find!

·
Registered
134 Posts
My great grandmother was known far and wide for her delicious "MudPuppy Stew". I put them on shishkabob's alternating between mudpuppy, crawdad, goby. YUM!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Caught one years ago on LSC on a tip-up (Fairhaven). They weren't protected then but I let it go anyway. It was only about 10' long. I can't imagine removing a treble hook out of a 20" like the one that "Gone Fishing" saw below his shanty!:eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Saw a frozen one sunday afternoon at Selfridge plus 2 empty beer cans. I wonder who the litterbugs were on that?

When I lived in Colorado, we used the 6 to 8 inch mudpuppies for pike bait. Worked pretty good!

I agree with Michigan law, you catch one, throw it back into the water alive. Don't let them become frozen popsicles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts