Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

341 - 356 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Ya. Well this time I wanted to see how much gas I had in the tank so I doubled the weight for weighted movements and held weight or put it around my waist when not really needed. I think I gotta back off on it until I get the cardio conditioning back.
The weight room is one of the few places my ego takes a back seat!:D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ah, good to see this thread. I'm still chipping away, down to 187lbs now. Last year I started to go for hikes (a lot of them, found a lot of local stream trout water that I'm going to fish this year), still working on portion control, cut WAY back on salty snacks (chips mainly). No more sitting on the couch and eating a whole bag of Doritos! My end goal is 170lbs., so a few more to go!

·
Super Moderator
35,358 Posts
What do you guys think about weight lifting just before bed? Something tells me its not optimal... but I can't see myself waking up 2 hours earlier to do it in the morning and dinner or early evening doesn't sound ideal either.

I know something is better than nothing

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I weigh myself at work on our production scales.They are in KG's.Two weeks ago I noticed I was at 150KG.So I just started watching what I eat.I am already down to 143KG.1 KG is 2.2 LB.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Are you guys still at it?

I’ve been hitting the gym pretty regularly since they opened back up. And I’ve lost about 23 lbs since I’ve been going back. My biggest issue is my beer consumption. I have cut back but probably not enough. I’m staying motivated with my exercising and hoping to lose another 20 lbs by summer.
Its been over a year and I'm still down over 60lbs (175 this morning from 236) and all I've been doing is... continue watching what I eat. I did get down to 168 in March but I've been hitting our bar at home during all this Covid crap so that doesn't help...

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
What do you guys think about weight lifting just before bed? Something tells me its not optimal... but I can't see myself waking up 2 hours earlier to do it in the morning and dinner or early evening doesn't sound ideal either.

I know something is better than nothing
I can't imagine it matters much when you decide to workout, but I know I have a hard time getting to sleep immediately after a hard lifting session. So that could factor in, but everyone's different.
I carve out an hour and a half to two hours just before dinner. I don't like lifting after I've eaten a significant meal.

·
Super Moderator
35,358 Posts
I can't imagine it matters much when you decide to workout, but I know I have a hard time getting to sleep immediately after a hard lifting session. So that could factor in, but everyone's different.
I carve out an hour and a half to two hours just before dinner. I don't like lifting after I've eaten a significant meal.
Yeah i just wondered about having food/protein at the right time around a workout. Not sure of there is a window or if that doesn't even matter.

I have trouble falling asleep. Exercise actually helps me. But I have heard lots of people say it is opposite for them.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Yeah i just wondered about having food/protein at the right time around a workout. Not sure of there is a window or if that doesn't even matter.

I have trouble falling asleep. Exercise actually helps me. But I have heard lots of people say it is opposite for them.
I highly doubt you would notice any difference in results based on time of day or proximity to a night's sleep.
Having an achievable routine that lends to consistency HAS to be the biggest key and outweighs any negatives.

·
Super Moderator
35,358 Posts
I highly doubt you would notice any difference in results based on time of day or proximity to a night's sleep.
Having an achievable routine that lends to consistency HAS to be the biggest key and outweighs any negatives.
I'm thinking more in relation to meals. If I work out at 10 pm and get done at 1130 I'm not eating anything more than maybe a protein shake. Seems like it would not be ideal but then again I don't know how much timing of food in relation to the latest workout matters.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I'm thinking more in relation to meals. If I work out at 10 pm and get done at 1130 I'm not eating anything more than maybe a protein shake. Seems like it would not be ideal but then again I don't know how much timing of food in relation to the latest workout matters.
I've recently read that you have up to 24 hrs post workout to still get your protein intake.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
I’m still getting after it. Not down a lot in weight, but my mile pace is under 9 minutes now and I’m seeing gains in muscle. Being over 40, I learned the trick is to decrease weight and increase reps. Still feeling a burn and seeing results. We went scouting last Sunday. Hiked 5 miles in snow. That would have smoked me a year or two ago. Didn’t miss a beat.

Had the place to myself last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

Reactions: Glock1911

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Stay fit only to do the things I enjoy. Hunting is my sport. So is Ski Patrol. I owe it to the animals to be ready and at the top of my game. And I owe it to customers on the ski hill to be the best I can be.

CF21A880-1ED1-4454-9959-4C024350FA6E.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've recently read that you have up to 24 hrs post workout to still get your protein intake.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
This. As long as you're taking in enough grams of protein daily, it doesn't really matter when you take it in. Studies supporting otherwise are bunk science trying to sell you special things you don't need for pre/post. There's a few good books on the subject of bad science around the strength and fitness world. Basically if you have a product to sell...you continue to pay for studies until the results show what you want them to show. And then discard all the ones that disprove your product.

As for the original subject...I started the year at 175, which is the heaviest I've been in years. Currently sitting at 167.x as of this morning. Put in my 2nd highest volume January ever. In my mind I have to believe we're going to have an AuSable River Canoe Marathon this year. As such I have to be prepared. In reality...it's a complex event that I think ends up cancelled.

As such...starting to think about mountain biking. Maybe by Ore 2 Shore or Iceman we'll be able to have big social endurance events again.

341 - 356 of 355 Posts