Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got my 11 year old son out this morning and we were met with a whole bunch of gobbling, the two owls had them in a frenzy!! Thought I had toms in one location from last night, but they somehow snuck back to their normal roost spot, so we had to make dash to spot #2 about 200 yards away right at fly-down time. Got setup and they were gobbling onthe ground,did some soft calling and after 45 minutes of some slow moving spot the hens coming our way and behind them alot of fans!! Son was ready gun up just half way ion knee, the birds came perfectly, first the hens who took 5-10 minutes to stop and check out decoys and us all the while 30 yards into the woods it was fans and gobbling, the group of full-fanned toms all 8-9 of them with 5-6 of them long beards made their way to within 12-15 yards of us--perfect.....tod him to shoot, lifted good, they perked up told him to shoot the first one--pow....nothing flopping... and birds a scattering!?! What? Clean miss!!! After things cleared stood up and his kneews were knocking and the first thing he said was, "Man, was I nervous!" Pretty sure he lifted right before he shot. One of my best hunts as far as amount of big toms and all of them fanned out..it was cool! He was disappointed..off to school....I'm sure he will replay that shot and scenerio all day!!! And yes, I did give a little heck. Fun stuff!!! We will be back for them!!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: been after them every morning till he has to go off to school, yesterday lots gobbling off the roost but been going the other way, today they were way off to another roost I guess but my son did pass on a group of small jakes this morning biggest about2-3 inches that wandered in, he is looking for a bigger one!!:) Said he was glad he got up this morning and had those birds come in, he used the call a little himself after they half-hearted gobbled. Came within 15 yards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts