Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent three days in the middle of this past June fishing Lex Cheneaux Islands for the first time, mostly targeting pike. I have been hearing about the pike fishing here for some time, and even saw the guys on a MooD film a segment trolling stickbaits through the weedbeds around these islands, which is my preferred fishing method. During the trip, I covered every bay from the Mosco Channel in the east to Wilderness Bay in the west, and every bit of shoreline in-between except for the south facing shores where the islands meet the open water of Huron. Water temps were in the high 50’s to low 60’s with very little submergent weed growth. The bottom is very sandy, and the only places with much submergent weed growth were the back ends of the bays pointing northwest, like Mackinac Bay or Cedarville Bay. The bays with the back ends pointing southeast, like Wilderness Bay or the southern part of Government Bay had no submergent weed growth at all, likely from prevailing winds from the west continuing to deposit more sand. Where I found submergent weeds I did find fish, but not in any great numbers and finding a keeper was very hard. A major fly hatch was just winding down so that could explain the fish not wanting to bite, along with every day being the textbook clear blue skies high pressure days. After talking with some of the locals, I did find when people talk about fishing the “weeds” they really mean the emergent weeds, i.e. reeds. Casting the reed beds did produce a few more fish than trolling, with a mix of half pike/half largemouth (including a 21” largemouth). I enjoyed the trip and got to learn a lot of new water, but it was not quite what I was expecting. To everyone else in the forum, I’d like to hear your experiences with fishing this area and whether decent submergent weedbeds develop later in the year or not. I have no faith in the creel clerk’s reports talking about the weedbeds in Wilderness Bay because with the sandy bottom, it didn’t look like there would be much submergent weed growth anytime in the year. Maybe this year was a fluke with really low weedgrowth, but I’d like to hear what the water conditions are typically like at other times during the year.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I fish there most often in the winter. It is fun when the bite is on. You are right you catch lots of small fish for every big one. There are some huge pike that are in the area if you can get them. The creel clerk is pretty much up on things over there and knows where the fish are.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Robert. The hard water fishing bug hasn't bit me yet but I'm sure it will one day. Maybe I'll get lucky and the area's creel clerk will find this thread an offer some information how submergent weed growth and water temperature progresses there throughout a normal year. Maybe I'll try a long weekend up there in May close to the opener next spring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts