Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal for a non LEO to target practice on the human paper targets?
I had heard at one time it was but I'm unsure and just wanted clarification....
Thx

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Are you talking about the LEO human shadow targets. Or some other human target.

No matter if you are using a target that looks like a human or just a round circle with a bullseye I see where you would get no difference. When you are target practicing your praticing your aiming and your shooting basic fundelmentals.

As for using a the human shadow target I do not know of any laws that prohibit this. As the public can order these off the net and buy them at some stores.

According to the law it has to be, an artificial silloutte or other type of identifiable target. Nothing stating it can not be a human silloutte.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Gosh, I hope its legal! I've been practicing for the last five years on Bin-Laden targets :evil:

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Radar420 said:
Gosh, I hope its legal! I've been practicing for the last five years on Bin-Laden targets :evil:
There is nothing in the law that states what the silloutte can or can not be of. It just states it has to be an Identifiable target made out of artificial material. As in paper, foam, cardboard, processed wood. In other words you can not use a tree for target practice.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
You cannot use human sillouette (sp) targets on state run target ranges....more P.C. B.S. from the DNR.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
New one on me Mr. 16 gauge. We use to do our pistol and rifle shoots at Rose Lake and I know that CO's used and still use human targets, both paper and dummy targets. I know of no DNR reg that prohibits it either but anything could have happened.

·
Super Moderator
746 Posts
boehr said:
New one on me Mr. 16 gauge. We use to do our pistol and rifle shoots at Rose Lake and I know that CO's used and still use human targets, both paper and dummy targets. I know of no DNR reg that prohibits it either but anything could have happened.
I agree with boehr. I never heard of that either.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I was shooting at the Ortonville SRA rifle range last summer when a couple of fellows were told by the range officer that they could not use their standard human sillouette (the standard one with the human body outlined in black....no human face, ect), as they were 'not permitted'. By whom, I do not know, but since the DNR runs that particular range (as opposed to a franchise type deal, like the range at Lake Orion), I assumed it was a DNR rule.

COs using and us "civilians" are two different things.
I had a similar thought.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Sometimes it's good to be PC. I can see where human photo targets could easily cross the line into inappropriateness.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
M1Garand said:
There are no state laws I've heard of either regulating the usage of such targets.
I have never heard of any law, either. I did a cursory search and couldn't find any law or regulation that would prohibit the kinds of targets you describe. I'd be interested if someone finds a law or regulation.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
SteveS said:
I have never heard of any law, either. I did a cursory search and couldn't find any law or regulation that would prohibit the kinds of targets you describe. I'd be interested if someone finds a law or regulation.
I do know of a guy who put a political figure on a target (I want to say it was Bill Clinton, but I can't say for sure) and someone reported him. Needless to say, he was paid a visit by some guys in suits who interviewed him regarding it. He was not charged anything though.

·
Registered
305 Posts
answerguy8 said:
Sometimes it's good to be PC. I can see where human photo targets could easily cross the line into inappropriateness.
How would this be any worse then a target with a picture of an angel or maybe an eagle ?:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Yup.....hope you remember that when they decide that pictures of animals on targets is also offensive to some folks, and those are banned as well in order to be P.C.....those could easily cross the line into inappropriateness as well.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I personly see nothing wrong at all with practice on a human shaped target. If I am going to protect myself then I will need to be proficient with that weapon. This includes being able to hit the target. If that so happens to be an intruder or another life threatning event, I want to know that I can indeed hit the one that is threatning my life.

We have gotten so PC lately that I wonder what is to become of us when we start trying to put everything into a nice little box of play nice , oh you cant say that or you cannot protect yourself thats the state and goverments job.

I have personly been assaulted in a kmart getting dinner for the family at 6 in the evening. This nut wanted to shoot me in the back in the parking lot over a place in line. Thank God for protecting ones self. This to make it a short story turned out ok for me but could of been alot different.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Mr. 16 gauge said:
Yup.....hope you remember that when they decide that pictures of animals on targets is also offensive to some folks, and those are banned as well in order to be P.C.....those could easily cross the line into inappropriateness as well.:rolleyes:
My comment was that a human picture target could cross the line. Can't you imagine that possibility? How would you feel if the guy in the shooting lane next to you taped up some photos of a lady pushing a stroller? Would that cross the line?

I have no problem with this type:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts