Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been trying to get some information on this and so far the legal documents i've found online are a bit dogdy.

i have a fenced in yard and a squirrel pest problem. they get into my garden in the spring and dig up the yard year round, and get into fights with my dog.

what i want to do is set up snare traps to catch them, and have a bit of squirrel food for my dog and maybe even for myself (i've seen some squirrel recipes and want to try some).

reasons are threefold:
1. reduce the pests population
2. improve survival skills
3. squirrel food!

now i'm getting some conflicting information on the legality of doing this:
-not allowed period.
-allowed but need a license
-allowed and don't need a license as long as it's in a fenced in property.

can anyone shed some light on my situation?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hmmmm... in the regs you read,"doing or about to do damage" as good enough reason to blast a problem coyote on private property. Never heard of protection of problem squirrels tho.I know theres no closed season on reds,although you have to have a small game tag to shoot em. Check with local dnr,and maybe give a call to critter control company and ask them about what kind of regs they might know of. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I checked with the CO about red squirrels and the answer I got was I could trap them but not snare them. But your probably talking about fox squirrels and they area a game species so trapping might not be allowed at all but I can tell you for sure my CO said no snares.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If its red squirrels a good thing to use instead of snares is rat traps on boards. You bait them with peanut butter and put them on your roof. Now this is for RED SQUIRRELS. Check with the DNR about fox squirrels you might be able to get a damage permit.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Snares would not be allowed.You will need to apply for a animal damage permit or hire someone with a adc license and they could do it for you without the permit.

·
Premium Member
30,649 Posts
I have a feeling you live within the city or village limits somewhere. If this is the case, there are probably city ordinances governing wild animals you need to check into. Otherwise get a small game license and shot the little bastards.

·
Registered
437 Posts
As stated, snaring squirrels is a not a legal method of take under trapping or hunting regulations. If you are looking at alternate methods of controlling the squirrel population outside of hunting, contact a licensed animal control business OR contact your local DNRE biologist or Conservation Officer for a nuissance animal control permit.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Poison? Let's think this over, you got dogs, people around you got dogs. Squirrel eats poison bait + dog eats poisoned squirrel= sick or dead dog. Now you got a lot bigger problem than a damn critter in your garden.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I've had mice take out an outside A/C unit. I've seen their nests in snowmobiles & ATVs. I've seen evidence in campers. I've also seen coon destruction in camps. No I don't have any problem using poison responsibly. I have 2 of the same 'bait houses' set up outside now that the pest control folks use. It takes a key of sorts to get in & it's pet proof.

I remember once hearing the mice above the bedroom ceiling in our house. We have been mouse free for years once I took the gloves off. Our lab is still alive too.

My neighbor had a mouse problem, came to light when they chewed a hole in the pressurized water line for the dishwasher at 2 A.M., no kidding. The pest control guy is called in. His main control was to put several 'bait houses' around the perimeter of the house. These are the locking type you can buy at home & farm supply houses. I guess this pest control method should be outlawed?

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
....I'd take the gloves off, poison & all....

...No I don't have any problem using poison responsibly....

...Our lab is still alive too.
So as long as you don't see another species of animal dead from poison then it's OK.:rolleyes:

Responsibly, enough poison to kill squirrels, ok, right.:rolleyes:

Do it the right way as others suggested, contact the local DNR and get a nuisance animal control permit. Be aware though, catching or killing them all will be a forever ongoing proccess. Better to just squirrel proof the things they are getting into. Squirrels are territorial from other squirrels and when you remove the squirrels that have claimed that territory it will open the territory up for other squirrels.:coolgleam

·
Registered
307 Posts
Might be a little different with a mouse bait box and what it takes to take out a big fox squirrel. I guess I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had problim with them the big fox squirrels the city said to use a live trap i could not relocate them had to have a small game lic.
They were chewing holes in the house i even got a nest in my house.
There are huge oaks all around my house and i can not tell you how many i killed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.