Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my letter in the mail today from the Huron-Clinton Metropolitan Authority again. It reads as follows,

Dear Metropark Neighbor:

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources issued a Wildlife Damage Investigation and Control Permit to the Huron-Clinton Metropolitan Authority to reduce the deer population in the Lower Huron & Oakwoods Metroparks.

As one of the managment methods, we will use Metropark Police Officers trained as sharpshooters to reduce the herd. This will be done on a couple of nights in the months of January and Feruary.

Now what is wrong with this statement, is it the fact that they are shooting deer at night, over bait, or after antlers have dropped so the tagged animals are legal by all being antlerless. Maybe this is why i only have pictures of four does, and two bucks this year, when last January I had pictures of six different bucks, and 14 does. Something has to change in this state.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Well most airports have permits to shoot does year round. They also usually limit this to law enforcement personnel only. I have never taken them up on this offer but after getting skunked this year.....nah, I'll pass.

ST8

·
Registered
480 Posts
They did it 4 years in a row at Kensington Metro-park. When they go thru there is no antler restrictions they shoot on site until the quota is met. In Kensington, they do fly over surveys to get a deer count, they also count deer within 1 mile of the parks boundaries. Then they come up with a quota to reduce the herd. Bucks, doe's, it doesn't matter just hit the quota, after the cull you could go thru the park and rarely see a deer. The last year of the culling, they had a 150ish for a kill quota, they stopped the hunt due to inactivity at 50 ish, basically there were no more deer to shoot.... I know why they did it and I know there were false carrying capacities in the park but they basically eradicated them and now three years later you can drive thru and see a few deer but most times you don't see any. The really interesting part is the deer pushed out of the park and into all the neighborhoods where they enjoy vegtable gardens and hostas.... whoops. No the deer problem is a problem in areas that are private lots so small you can't hunt. I know the cull has to happen for the betterment of the park and other critters that inhabit it, but a small part of me liked driving thru it and seeing all the deer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
This was a big debate in Grand Haven. They hired sharp shooters to shoot deer at various locations throughout the city, even including a cemetary. People got wind of this and drove around honking their horns trying to scare the dee back into cover. I remember they only shot 1 doe that day/night. I understand that somtimes the deer population can get too high in urban places but the way i understood it, people were mainly complaining about the damage the deer have been doing to their gardens. It's not the deer's fault we invaded their territory, its ours. If we can't let them browse free and let them run THEIR territory, then you should move. If not, put a fence around the garden so they can't eat them.

My solution to this would allow a certain number of deer taken by bowhunters in season each year to control the population. You shouldn't have spend our hardworking tax payers dollars to hire sharp shooters. Their are plenty of "trained sharp shooters" among us. I am talking about all of us on this forum. We know how to humanly harvest a deer and not "poach" as the city is doing. Why wouldn't the city want to gain a few dollars from licenses sold each year for 1 day urban hunts? Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe this is a good solution.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
This was a big debate in Grand Haven. They hired sharp shooters to shoot deer at various locations throughout the city, even including a cemetary. People got wind of this and drove around honking their horns trying to scare the dee back into cover. I remember they only shot 1 doe that day/night. I understand that somtimes the deer population can get too high in urban places but the way i understood it, people were mainly complaining about the damage the deer have been doing to their gardens. It's not the deer's fault we invaded their territory, its ours. If we can't let them browse free and let them run THEIR territory, then you should move. If not, put a fence around the garden so they can't eat them.

My solution to this would allow a certain number of deer taken by bowhunters in season each year to control the population. You shouldn't have spend our hardworking tax payers dollars to hire sharp shooters. Their are plenty of "trained sharp shooters" among us. I am talking about all of us on this forum. We know how to humanly harvest a deer and not "poach" as the city is doing. Why wouldn't the city want to gain a few dollars from licenses sold each year for 1 day urban hunts? Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe this is a good solution.
Now that would make to much sense!!!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
They did it 4 years in a row at Kensington Metro-park. When they go thru there is no antler restrictions they shoot on site until the quota is met. In Kensington, they do fly over surveys to get a deer count, they also count deer within 1 mile of the parks boundaries. Then they come up with a quota to reduce the herd. Bucks, doe's, it doesn't matter just hit the quota, after the cull you could go thru the park and rarely see a deer. The last year of the culling, they had a 150ish for a kill quota, they stopped the hunt due to inactivity at 50 ish, basically there were no more deer to shoot.... I know why they did it and I know there were false carrying capacities in the park but they basically eradicated them and now three years later you can drive thru and see a few deer but most times you don't see any. The really interesting part is the deer pushed out of the park and into all the neighborhoods where they enjoy vegtable gardens and hostas.... whoops. No the deer problem is a problem in areas that are private lots so small you can't hunt. I know the cull has to happen for the betterment of the park and other critters that inhabit it, but a small part of me liked driving thru it and seeing all the deer.
Sorry, but I have to wholeheartedly disagree about the deer population in and around Kensington. Living, working and hunting in the area for most of my life I can assure you that Kensington and the surrounding areas still have a Whitetail population that is FAR above the average for the Southern Lower. You may no longer see the 20-30 deer while driving through the park, but that overpopulation was the problem in the first place.

As for the culling activity forcing the herd outside of the park I tend to think that the opposite is actually more likely. Before the culls the deer had to travel outside of Kensington as there simply was insufficient winter time forage for a herd of that size. Now that the population is at a more reasonable level the deer have less of an incentive to invade the surrounding areas, not more.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts

That sounds like a good solution, but the reality is probably that hunters would not be successful enough. They have been trying the let the hunters control the population at Hoffmaster State Park and it is my understanding that they success rate is way below the target.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
That sounds like a good solution, but the reality is probably that hunters would not be successful enough. They have been trying the let the hunters control the population at Hoffmaster State Park and it is my understanding that they success rate is way below the target.
this is because they hold the hunts too late in the year, the deer move down out of the dunes into the thicker wooded areas near black lake where cover and food is better when its gets cold.

·
Registered
298 Posts

I like that idea too, I wish they would do something like in Ella Sharp park in Jackson. The park consists of over 500 acres with good sized woodlots being scattered throughout it. They could hold a drawing with let's say a 10 dollar entry fee, if your names drawn you must first be required to prove your competency with the weapon before being allowed to hunt in order to lessen the chance of having a deer die in an undesirable location. I've talked to other hunters in the area and they agree with this idea, but of course its out of our hands and this is merely just a dream. I know there's an actual thread about Ella but I feel its become too mucked up with other topics, that's why I posted here.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Wait, so instead of spending money to do something, you let other people pay you to perform the same task???
:idea::idea::idea:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Hudson mills Park in Dexter did try to have hunter come in and hunt. I don't think they shot enough deer. So now they do the sharp shooters at night.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well you might not think its poaching, but I'm pretty sure that any deer shot over bait is illegal now. I just got back from a drive through the park. There are several areas "closed for the season" that havent been closed down in previous winters. After noticing this I headed over a friends house just up the road and across the river from the closed area. Plain as day, several bright glowing yellow areas in the snow, looked through my binos, and what do you know, about 100lbs of corn at each one. Last year they killed around 400 between two of the three parks. This year the same two parks are being targeted. In years past when they started I asked an employee who was buying a seed mix to plant for the animals just how many deer they found in there survey. He replied "more than are actually there." You'll know when they are doing there culling, the signs will read closed for special event.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Well you might not think its poaching, but I'm pretty sure that any deer shot over bait is illegal now. I just got back from a drive through the park. There are several areas "closed for the season" that havent been closed down in previous winters. After noticing this I headed over a friends house just up the road and across the river from the closed area. Plain as day, several bright glowing yellow areas in the snow, looked through my binos, and what do you know, about 100lbs of corn at each one. Last year they killed around 400 between two of the three parks. This year the same two parks are being targeted. In years past when they started I asked an employee who was buying a seed mix to plant for the animals just how many deer they found in there survey. He replied "more than are actually there." You'll know when they are doing there culling, the signs will read closed for special event.
How many deer did your buddy take this year?

·
Banned
120 Posts
To be honest there alot less deer now then in the pass.I inline skate the park alot.We use to see a ton of deer.In the pass 4 yrs not much at all.I think they need to get some real numbers instead of just doing what they have in the pass.Im not buying what they are saying atm.That it has to be done.I just wonder how many of them guys/so call snipers. Fill there Freezers and there Friends.I know for a fact they do take some for themselfs.But i cant say how.Think about it.Say they shoot 100 deer.Who in the hell is going to Gut and Process them all for so call Shelters? Get real :rolleyes:.I like to have someone follow the truck to see where the deer really go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
They could hold a drawing with let's say a 10 dollar entry fee, if your names drawn you must first be required to prove your competency with the weapon before being allowed to hunt in order to lessen the chance of having a deer die in an undesirable location.
I was never more nervous than the first time I was going to the range to attempt to qualify with my bow from an elevated stand at a 3d target of unknown range in order to get to hunt in the housing areas on Fort Drum. You had to put 2 of 3 in the kill zone I think (long time ago). I qualified everytime, but man I was nervous.

I don't see this ever happening in most parks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts