Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Ford F-150 and pull a regular size pop up with it. My question is I am looking to buy a 12 ft boat with a trailer and hook that to the back of the camper. So I would be pulling a pop-up and a boat trailer.

Is this legal? Is there a total length that cant be exceeded?

Also, if anyone has experience pulling 2 things at once, let me know how difficult it is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Numero uno, don't try to back it up!!! The length law is 75ft. first trailer is to be attached by 5th wheel,and be equiped with brakes, second trailer should have surge brakes. I'm not sure about a pop-up. Can you build a rack so you can carry the boat on the pop-up? No trouble pulling it or turning it.

Good Luck1

·
Registered
188 Posts
in michigan , you can pull a 5th wheel plus a boat behind that as long as you are within the legal length . some states allow you to pull two trailers behind the tow vehicle , but , not michigan

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Hello....Michigan length law says the maximum legal length is 65 feet. Can't pull the boat behind the pop up as stated earlier. Go to: www michiganlegislature org and in the MCL box type in 257.721. Gives you the scoop on what is legal and what is not. Also, to pull what is called the recreational double you would need an "R" endorsement on your drivers license. (Unless you have an appropriate CDL) Type in 257.312i in the MCL box and that info will be provided. Its just a written test and you can get the test booklet for study at www michigan gov/sos.

When you type in the sites just put in the dots. The website would not let me post the URL's.
Have a great season!

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
cliftp said:
When you type in the sites just put in the dots. The website would not let me post the URL's.
Just so you know, this website will let you post links (URLs) once you have made enough postings. This is to prevent someone from joining and posting links to inappropriate sites. I don't know what the number is but it might be 20 msgs.

But, it should be a helpful answer to the original poster.

The URL you were trying to post:
http://www.michigan.gov/sos

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Hello....Michigan length law says the maximum legal length is 65 feet. Can't pull the boat behind the pop up as stated earlier. Go to: www michiganlegislature org and in the MCL box type in 257.721. Gives you the scoop on what is legal and what is not. Also, to pull what is called the recreational double you would need an "R" endorsement on your drivers license. (Unless you have an appropriate CDL) Type in 257.312i in the MCL box and that info will be provided. Its just a written test and you can get the test booklet for study at www michigan gov/sos.

Have a great season!
I was sure they changed the length a few years ago, it was 65"..??

·
Premium Member
12,269 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,800 Posts
Reactions: ETW

·
Administrator
26,924 Posts
Man I wanna see you launch that boat in line like that.
Like to see anyone do it.

Just to let some know if they are wondering, park the boat somewhere and unhook it and go park the rv at the site and return to pickup the boat. Reverse when leaving. Never pull into a Mc Donalds or such. Always a big lot such at Walmart and the like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts