Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my buddy said he was talking to a DNR officer and they said it's ok to use a 30-06 in the shotgun zone for yotes. Is this true? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Center fire rifles can be used in zone 3 for taking coyotes but I would not use a 30-06. A .22 cal center fire makes more sense but make sure that you know what is going to stop your bullet because you own it and are responsible for it till it stops. Lets be safe.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that, and not to be rude but the question was, does anyone know if in the shotgun zone is it legal to shoot a 30-06 when coyote hunting.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I understand that, and not to be rude but the question was, does anyone know if in the shotgun zone is it legal to shoot a 30-06 when coyote hunting.

And not to be rude but he did answer your question. So he gave some extra info alot of ppl wouldnt think of that. If more ppl would stand up and offer some extra info then alot of things would be different in this world

·
Super Moderator
6,908 Posts
he answered your question. YES rifles can be used to hunt coyote in zone 3. the shotgun/rifle line only pertains to hunting deer. you also cannot hunt yotes with a centerfire rifle at night or during the november gun deer season.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thank you. I appriciate it. I apologize, I must have miss understood that part the first time, my mistake. Thanks for clearing it up though guys!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks for having my back guys and no offence is taken 835.
.22 Rimfire only is permitted at night if hunting with a rifle or handgun in all zones. Shotgun is also permitted but no buckshot is allowed day or night. You will find the nighthunting rules on page 16 in the hunting guide.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Nighttime Raccoon and Predator Hunting
[SIZE=-1]Only raccoon, opossum, coyote and fox may be hunted at night. The following regulations apply:
Species
(Type)

Open
Season

Legal Type of Hunting
Legal Artificial Light A
Legal DevicesB
Raccoon
(Regular)
Oct. 1 -
Jan. 31

With dogs only. Firearm must be unloaded and arrows un-nocked except when taking raccoon in tree.
Only lights similar to the type ordinarily held in the hand or on the person.
(Flashlights, portable battery-powered spotlights and headlamps, and similar portable lights designed to be carried in the hand or on the person are legal.)

The use of natural light, including night vision optics and scopes, is legal.

Only a .22 or smaller caliber rimfire rifle or handgun, or shotgun with loads other than buckshot, slug, ball or cut shell, or bow and arrow.
Raccoon
(Damage
Control)

July 15 -
Sept. 30
and
Feb. 1 -
March 31

Only on private lands when doing or about to do damage; landowners and guests only; with dogs only. Firearm must be unloaded and arrows un-nocked except when taking raccoon in tree.
Opossum
Sept. 15 -
March 31

With dogs only; firearm must be unloaded and arrows un-nocked except at point of kill.
Same as above except no rifles or handguns from Nov. 15 - Nov. 30 in Shotgun Zone.
Fox and
Coyote
(See note below)
Oct. 15 -
March 1

With game or predator call only. Firearm may be loaded or arrow nocked only when using call.
Coyote
(Damage
Control)

Sept. 15 -
Oct. 14
and
March 1 -
March 31

Only on private lands when doing or about to do damage; landowners and guests only; with game or predator call only; firearm may be loaded or arrow nocked only when using call.

Note: After fox season closes (March 1) hunting hours for coyote return to the regular hunting hours for small game.
AAn artificial light, including laser sights, of the type described above may be mounted on a person's clothing or firearm. Spotlights powered by vehicle batteries, floodlights, vehicle headlights or other artificial lights not similar to the type ordinarily held in the hand or on the person are illegal.
BAll hunters using a .22 or smaller caliber rimfire to take a furbearing animal, day or night, from Nov. 10 - Nov. 14, must have a fur harvester license.
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nighttime Raccoon and Predator Hunting
[SIZE=-1]Only raccoon, opossum, coyote and fox may be hunted at night. The following regulations apply:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

Species

(Type)

Open

Season

Legal Type of Hunting

Legal Artificial Light A
Legal DevicesB

Raccoon
(Regular)
Oct. 1 -
Jan. 31
With dogs only. Firearm must be unloaded and arrows un-nocked except when taking raccoon in tree.

Only lights similar to the type ordinarily held in the hand or on the person.
(Flashlights, portable battery-powered spotlights and headlamps, and similar portable lights designed to be carried in the hand or on the person are legal.)

The use of natural light, including night vision optics and scopes, is legal.

Only a .22 or smaller caliber rimfire rifle or handgun, or shotgun with loads other than buckshot, slug, ball or cut shell, or bow and arrow.
Raccoon
(Damage
Control)
July 15 -
Sept. 30
and
Feb. 1 -
March 31
Only on private lands when doing or about to do damage; landowners and guests only; with dogs only. Firearm must be unloaded and arrows un-nocked except when taking raccoon in tree.
Opossum
Sept. 15 -
March 31
With dogs only; firearm must be unloaded and arrows un-nocked except at point of kill.
Same as above except no rifles or handguns from Nov. 15 - Nov. 30 in Shotgun Zone.
Fox and
Coyote
(See note below)
Oct. 15 -
March 1
With game or predator call only. Firearm may be loaded or arrow nocked only when using call.
Coyote
(Damage
Control)
Sept. 15 -
Oct. 14
and
March 1 -
March 31
Only on private lands when doing or about to do damage; landowners and guests only; with game or predator call only; firearm may be loaded or arrow nocked only when using call.

Note: After fox season closes (March 1) hunting hours for coyote return to the regular hunting hours for small game.
AAn artificial light, including laser sights, of the type described above may be mounted on a person's clothing or firearm. Spotlights powered by vehicle batteries, floodlights, vehicle headlights or other artificial lights not similar to the type ordinarily held in the hand or on the person are illegal.
BAll hunters using a .22 or smaller caliber rimfire to take a furbearing animal, day or night, from Nov. 10 - Nov. 14, must have a fur harvester license.
[/SIZE]
Went over that last night and couldn't find anything about centerfire. Glad i didn't offend you trapper. Thanks for all the info, you guys are a huge help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts