Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wrap their dog's legs in the field?

My 18 month old, female gsp is a tear in the woods. She runs so hard and tries to go through rather than over a lot of times. She has unbelieveable drive, but tears up the front of her shins to the point of having open sores most of the time.

There really was nothing I could do for much of the season and just made sure to keep them clean and keep a lot of anti-biotic ointment on them after the run and during the week at home. Last weekend was the first weekend I haven't got up since September 1st and she's almost healed. I want to get her up for one last go this weekend but would hate to have her open these things up again.

Anyone have any recommended type of leg wrap I can use to combat this?

Something that won't hinder her running ability. I tried duct tape but it just would slide down or get hung up and torn off.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Although I haven't had this problem, I have used the elastic wrap for wounds. Long story short, my setter cut his pad. As it was healing well, I was able to run him using a boot formed from a bicycle inner tube. I found that I had to use the elastic wound wrap on his paw, but the rubber tube chaffed his leg at the upper edge. So I wrapped the length of his lower leg, and finished off with a small strip of athletic tape. Might work for ya, just don't make it too tight.
2.5 yds of the stuff is about $2.50 - walmart, meijer, petsmart.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've never used leg wrap before on my GSP, but my lab got a large open cut on his leg a few years ago while running through the brush. I couldn't keep him out of the woods if I wanted too, so I did the following:

I bought pre-wrap (local sporting goods store) and athletic tape. We taped up his shin just like you would on a horse. It worked like a charm. I didn't notice any mobility issues...just be careful not to wrap too tight.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I would caution you against using vetwrap. It can get tight on you and cut off circulation to the paw, and that would be bad.

A good bandage that will hold up to the abuse a dog running through the woods can do is not an easy feat. If you have to do it again, wrap first with a light layer of 2" rolled stretch gauze (soft cotton) prior to putting the vetwrap or bicycle tube on. Prior to the stretch gauze, put a stirrup on the lateral and medial side of the leg. A stirrup is a 1" wide piece of tape, the length of the bandage long + 4" on either side. Once you put your stretch gauze on, you can then twist the stirrup 180 degrees, and run it back up or down the bandage, so it's holding the gauze in place. Now wrap with the vetwrap. With the vetwrap, unroll the entire roll and reroll it loosely. When applying it, do it so that as you are rolling the roll on the leg like a wheel, the wrap is going around. Apply no tension. Once you have the entire leg wrapped, squeeze the vetwrap all over, it'll tighten itself up. Shouldn't have to worry about tension much if you do it this way.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
My oldest pointer developed the condition on both front legs this year. I attempted to wrap them, but with the abrasions being on the surface of a joint that flexes continuously, I didn't have any luck. I wound-up running him sans-bandages and the abrasions got no worse, and are actually shrinking now that he's on the ground a little less frequently.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
You guys are soft.
These dogs are tough, keep running them and soon the scratches and scrapes will scab, then callous. End of problem similar to conditioning pads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also, at 18 months the dog still has some maturation ahead. My GSP charged straight into the multiflora rose at that age. They wise up pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
You guys are soft.
These dogs are tough, keep running them and soon the scratches and scrapes will scab, then callous. End of problem similar to conditioning pads.
Remember, they have short haired/tailed dogs...:hide:

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are soft.
That's what I figured. I've kept them clean and I know she does a good job about it, too. I remember my older dog having a similar type of problem when he was a pup and he now has scar tissue and callouses there.

It's amazing how fast they heal. Like I said, last weekend was the first she hasn't ran in a while and they've almose completely healed.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts