Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last evening about an hour before dark there was a group of about 12 deer acrossed the road from my house. 6 OF THEM WERE BUCKS! :yikes: :D Glad to see some left for next year. All were young bucks but 1 had a spread to his ear tips. I will try and get out a couple more times before season ends and maybe get lucky. ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
2-Big: best of luck!

I'm done as I took another snow doe about a week or 10 days ago. Now I need to get out Monday, as I don't work then, to take down and store stands. Time to wash and store hunting clothes, sharpen knives and broadheads and store them, wipe down bows, and get out the turkey calls!! :)

Have a blessed and safe New Year, Arch.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I too am still out there plugging away. I am seeing some good sign, but most has been nocturnal. This area is public land and it saw heavier pressure this year than in prior years. I suspect I fell victim to more people hunting closer to home this year due to high gas prices.

Good luck out there and be safe.

Arch, we NEED to go turkey hunting somewhere this spring if the Osceola trip falls through ;)

Dan

·
Registered
233 Posts
Good luck on those headbones Jimbo, hope you get another one! -Arch, congrats on the snow doe ! -I have a tag left, that's burning a hole in my pocket, so I'm heading north one more time, to try to give it an opportunity to be tied to some hyde.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got news that one of our very favorite people here took a nice buck with his longbow recently, but I'll let him spill the beans!:D

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

I think I'm still in shock. My brother and I went up the week before Christmas and hung a 1/2 dozen stands. There was absolutely no sign around and we just hung stands on trails and areas where deer have been known to travel from years past. We came home pretty discouraged.

The Monday night after Christmas, I was sitting in my stand and I had literally fallen asleep. I woke up for a second and not a few yards from my tree was this little buck. I honestly thought for a minute I was dreaming. I somehow composed myself and let him just slip by me a little bit and gave him a little Christmas present - a Snuffer. He piled up on the run about a 100 yards from my tree. Talk about waiting til the last minute...

The tree I shot him out of we have called The Nest. It is my daughter's favorite stand and I have to say my first thought as I watched that deer run was that I sure wished it had been my daughter sitting there this past Monday night. (or one of the other kids)

Happy about the deer but overall very, very sad about what has happened to one of the premier counties in MI to hunt deer.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Congrats Chuck! I saw 6 does and a small buck Friday night, but nothing last night. Hopefully, tonight will be the night for my son, as he is heading up with me.

I agree with your sadness. I have been hunting Northern Newaygo County for 27 years, and this is the worst I have seen on public land. I never did see a deer while bowhunting one of my best spots up there. The deer I am seeing right now are on a private farm.

Good luck to those still hunting and Happy New Year.

Dan

·
Registered
233 Posts
Congratulations Chuck!!!
Nice Christmas present! You got the only Buck in the county, that's quite a feat!!! ;) -Seriously -December hunting is tough...especially on state land--great going, good for you, very nice spike!!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Thanks everyone ... A lot of guys probably would not even have tightend the grip on thier string for that one but after the last couple years we've had up there, I couldn't have been happier if he had been a 150 class buck. As much shocked to see him as I was happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts