Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new 12 gauge. I’m currently shooting a browning which I really do love but I’m just getting tired of the right-handed part of it.

I was looking at the Benelli SBEII but have heard some mixed things about it being picky about certain shells.

Any other lefties out there have a 12 gauge semi-auto they love?

· Registered
423 Posts
I have a Winchester sx3. It isn't made completely left handed. It still ejects on the right side but the safety can bi flipped to accommodate lefties like myself. I have no issue with the ejection on the right and never even notice the shell

· Registered
29 Posts
I'm a leftie...have shot my SBEII for many many years, I think I started shooting it in 2006. And I'm not just a weekend duck hunter. Well over 500 rounds a year go through that gun, probably near 10,000 rounds in all over the 12 years total if you count target shoots. I have only had one issue with it, I was shooting 3.5" Hypersonics for awhile, it eventually broke the plate inside the receiver that is basically responsible for ejecting the shell. Easy fix, heck, Benelli even sent me the part for free and I fixed it myself. It was at that point I decided that 3.5 super duper shells were really not necessary. And they were starting to take their toll on me, so I downsized. Also, I've been told that the only folks that offer a semi in true left hand is Benelli and Winchester. SO, really the question in my mind is do you prefer gas operated or initeria? For me, love the Benelli. My son shoots left as well so when he's ready for his lifetime left hand semi in 12 ga, probably a Benelli.

· Registered
29 Posts
Forgot to mention, I have shot everything from light 8's at skeet to those 3.5 hypersonics...all cycle just fine. On occasion, if I don't shoulder the gun properly and end up with a little space between shoulder and butt stock, it has hung a shell on me. This occurs about 2 per season when I have thick clothing or coats. But I look at that as my fault since I improperly placed the firearm anyway.

· Registered
1,788 Posts
I've had a number of leftys over the years. Some converted safetys, some true left ejects, and a bottom eject BPS. I like the BPS and still have it, but it's a 10 and I rarely shoot it anymore. I have a Beretta A390 gasser that I switched safetys on. Love the gun, easy on the shoulder, shoots all season without cleaning. Unfortunately, my young son sort of "appropriated" it.

I bought an SBEII a number of years ago because I liked the simplicity of the interia system. I killed a lot of waterfowl with that gun, but got tired of the recoil and the FTF too many times to count. So I sold it. (FYI - Benelli just came out with a true LH SBEIII at SHOT this week).

Bought a true lefty Beretta A400 this year. Couldn't be happier. Ran a 100 through it this week at the range, both skeet and trap. Took it to the Todd with 1 9/16 3.5"s, although never fired a round. The kick-off system really does reduce recoil by 70%. Once I dial it in it will be a gun that I will have for a long time.

You don't have to settle for a right hand gun that shoots lefty anymore - although most can have the safetys switched. Beretta makes a good gun in all pricepoints - the 300 can be had for $5-600. I'm sure Rem, Win, Brown, all make some sort of left handed versions, but I don't have much experience with them. Remmi - if you want to travel 20 minutes south and run a box through my 400, feel free to pm me.

· Registered
12,061 Posts
I am left handed and had a LH 870. I use all the RH remingtons and it has no ill effect on me. If I was buying new, I might buy a lefty. All my bolt rifles are lefties which I consider a must.

· Registered
4,266 Posts
I was looking at the Benelli SBEII but have heard some mixed things about it being picky about certain shells.
I have an SBE2, it is not picky about shells at all. Due to the design of the inertia system, the owner's manual does say it may not cycle loads less than 1 1/8oz. I accidentally bought boxes of 1oz target loads and took them to a sporting clays course the first time I shot my SBE2 years ago, and it failed to cycle about 1 out of every 3 shells; however, after a few hundred rounds it now cycles 1oz shells no problem. So, the issue is with lighter loads, and Benelli already indicates the gun is not designed to cycle those loads, but once broken in they actually cycle them no problem (at least mine does, and several other SBE2 owners I have spoken to).

As far as LH models go, I forget whether the SBE2 comes in one, but I know the Montelfeltro does because I got one for my dad. That's also IMO a very nice auto for the money.

· Registered
233 Posts
I've had a number of leftys over the years. Some converted safetys, some true left ejects, and a bottom eject BPS. I like the BPS and still have it, but it's a 10 and I rarely shoot it anymore. I have a Beretta A390 gasser that I switched safetys on. Love the gun, easy on the shoulder, shoots all season without cleaning. Unfortunately, my young son sort of "appropriated" it.

I bought an SBEII a number of years ago because I liked the simplicity of the interia system. I killed a lot of waterfowl with that gun, but got tired of the recoil and the FTF too many times to count. So I sold it. (FYI - Benelli just came out with a true LH SBEIII at SHOT this week).

Bought a true lefty Beretta A400 this year. Couldn't be happier. Ran a 100 through it this week at the range, both skeet and trap. Took it to the Todd with 1 9/16 3.5"s, although never fired a round. The kick-off system really does reduce recoil by 70%. Once I dial it in it will be a gun that I will have for a long time.

You don't have to settle for a right hand gun that shoots lefty anymore - although most can have the safetys switched. Beretta makes a good gun in all pricepoints - the 300 can be had for $5-600. I'm sure Rem, Win, Brown, all make some sort of left handed versions, but I don't have much experience with them. Remmi - if you want to travel 20 minutes south and run a box through my 400, feel free to pm me.
TNL,
That would be very cool let me know when would be a good time for you.

Kevin

· Registered
122 Posts
Benelli, Beretta, Franchi, and Remington all make left handed shotguns. I have been looking for a new left handed shotgun myself. If you want an inertia driven shotgun Benelli has the most options check out their website. I'm leaning towards the M2 just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
I’ve had a LH M2 for almost 6 years now. It’s been beaten up pretty good nothings broke yet. Although a good amount of the camo is peeling.

· Registered
910 Posts
I've used my SBEII for 13+ years. Case after case of field, target, and waterfowl loads and I I've had it jam once (and that was my fault). I've abused it and it's worked fine. Good friend has had great results w/ his M2 that's around the same vintage.

For those with cycling issues, check out the aftermarket Wolf recoil springs- most that make the switch claim they're an improvement over the factory springs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.