Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be headed up there this weekend for a few days with my wife and kids (3,6,7). Staying at the Leelanau RV park without a boat. Was wondering if anyone was willing to share some advice as to where to take kids fishing. I have alot of gear for fishing our lake outside Jackson, MI so I assume I have what it would take to put the kids on some fish just need a starting point and what to use. Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If you are going to be at the RV park on the SW side of South LL, I would suggest trying to rent a boat, if you want to fish Lake Leelenau at all. Even a rowboat will allow you to go straight out from the park past the dropoff and fish for rock bass, walleye and smallmouth. Without a boat, the lake is tough to fish. The good news is that there is shallow water around the park for the kids to swim.
If you get a boat, you can row out 50 yards to the drop off and then follow the dropoff line as far as you want to go. If you can get to the south end, which is about 3 miles from the park by water, you can fish up on the shallow basin for both smallmouth and largemouth, as well as occasional pike. You can also look for the river mouth, which is on the west side of the flats.
If you can't get a boat, I would suggest heading into Leland and fishing off the breakwater, or along the river below the dam. You could also try heading into either Cedar on the south end and fish along the river by the park, or go into the town of Lake Leelenau between the two lakes and try the same.
Regardless, have a GREAT time!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one else has any input? Thanks for the responses so far fellas.

·
Registered
608 Posts
For kids action, head to Cedar lake in Leelanau, as mentioned. Also, there is a fishing pier at the DeYoung Natural Area, about a mile past the boat launch, that is in a quality location and will produce decent results for the boatless angler. Also in Leelanau, you can try School or Shell lake in the National Park, but they are more scenic than anything and require a canoe or kayak for best results. Also, check out Veronica Valley Park off of County Rd. 641... the ponds are stocked and it is supposed to be a kids only fishing, which most folks abide by. This is the best action spot for a boatless kid angler. Trout are stocked in spring, but their mostly gone by now, but bluegills and bass are there in decent #s.

In GT county west side, Bass lake is hard to beat. Arbutus and Spider are a decent drive from lake lee, but also great for kids.

Lake Leelanau is also great action for rock bass and other smaller fish for kids...walleyes can be tougher for kids this time of year, but possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts