Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used a lantern, but seen a couple models of lights for your shack today one was a clam and the other was a frabill. One had a fan for moving the air around. Do these light up the shack enough to fish after dark, do the batterys last longer than one outing?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I purchased the Frabill from GM. I have a 4 person 72sqft shanty and it puts off alot of light for my shanty. It runs on 2 AA batts and I have not changed them this year ( 24 +- hrs ). It was only $14.99. I am very pleased. LEDS are awsome for ice fishing

·
Registered
364 Posts
I found some led lights on e-bay for $8.50 plus shipping. They are like Xmas lights and run off 2 AA batteries. They work very well so far and battery life seems good.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have an ameristep one that I just got. The older ameristeps were not very bright but this on is great. It is disc shape and has a cicle of green led on the outside and 4 white led in the center. I think I paid $5 or $10.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have one of the clams you referenced with the fan. So far no issues. Plenty of light, very small / easy to transport. Battery life good.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx Gents:D:D

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use these in my flip over. I attach them with zip-ties to my support bars so they fold up with the shanty. Manufacturer (noveltylights.com) will cut to length. I spliced them together and connect to my extra locator battery.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just picked up that Frabil light bar to replace my coleman lantern. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. It has 4 groups of LED's on it that tilt and rotate (kinda like the AC vents in a passenger plane) so you can direct light where it's needed. Plenty of light in the shanty, and does a decent job charging up glow jigs. Got it on a whim @ GM so I proly over-paid. But all the propane we brought for the lantern we now use for the heater, and can stay out longer.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just picked up that Frabil light bar to replace my coleman lantern. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. It has 4 groups of LED's on it that tilt and rotate (kinda like the AC vents in a passenger plane) so you can direct light where it's needed. Plenty of light in the shanty, and does a decent job charging up glow jigs. Got it on a whim @ GM so I proly over-paid. But all the propane we brought for the lantern we now use for the heater, and can stay out longer.
That's one of the ones I was looking at

·
Registered
160 Posts
What I'm really digging about the frabil light bar is how you can quickly attach it almost anywhere. Pick a spot in your pop up shelter, wrap velcro straps around something and fish. What annoyed me about hanging my lantern was that it hung down low, so you were constantly watching your head every time you stood up. I imagine the same to be true for those big fan units. When I see a flag up, I just wanna book over to it, not stop and worry about where that lantern is. Especially if it's windy and that thing is swingin' all over the place.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hang two of the small 3 inch led flashlights from my center poll that runs across the ceiling of my shanty...lights the shanty up and they only cost $1 from the dollar store....

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I hang two of the small 3 inch led flashlights from my center poll that runs across the ceiling of my shanty...lights the shanty up and they only cost $1 from the dollar store....

That's all I use, I just attach them to the frame with velcro. Easy to set up and tear down at the end of the day.

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
i often wondered about a good led system for the shanty.
i found the sylvania "light flute" to be just the ticket. It is super bright and has a battery life that seems to be on steroids.
you put it sideways in its magnetic base and stick it on any of the metal hubs inside your shanty or blind. it floats inside the base so you can direct it at any angle you need. The magnet is more than powerful enuff to hold even if you walk into it.
$11.00 at lowes or home depot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts