Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have many INS with some BIG farmers around the areas. I was wondering if I was to approach them about leasing ALL of their farms that would cost me well over $10,000, who would be willing to lease if the land was worth it?

I have been thinking of this for some time. I would start a club almost and start leasing farms to sub lease to others. I would be the one in charge, with others leasing under me.

What do you guys think about this?

I know some are FOR and some are against.

·
Premium Member
12,130 Posts
Sounds like a splendid idea, as long as specific details are worked out before hand.

Number of sub-leasers, family as guests, friends as guests or no guests. Number of hunting days. Who hunts which parcel.

I'm sure there are more. Just a few of the top of my head.

How much is well over?

Good thought!

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Big Frank, the one farmer has over 10,000 acres of farmland and the others equal at least that much. I know I can get my hands on at least 5,000 acres to lease.

I was just wondering what others thought of the idea. Iknow there are others that hate leasing and leasers because some day its going to become a rich mans sport, but down here in SW Mich, everyone is leasing if you dont own or have family that has land.

SO I would say it would take well over $10,000

·
Premium Member
12,130 Posts
At 2$ an acre I hope you get the right 5000!;)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Free enterprise is a wonderful thing. Give it a try. Maybe form an LLC to protect yourself from liability.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We already have a LLC, so that is one good thing. I was also thinking of making a Michigan catalog that would have all The Michigan Big Lake Lures, Lines, baits, to hunting apparel, to tree stands.

Under our LLC, it just might pan out. I just have TOOOO much going these days!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
MB,

Where abouts is this land? Myself and two buddies are looking for land to lease for 2004. My buddies are just getting me into the QDM thing and we enjoy planting food plots as well. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
661 Posts
I would be more than willing to listen to what this would involve. That of course would be 1shot and myself.

Where is this area that we are discussing?

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I use to belong to a lease club.

It was called Sportsmans alience or something like that.

It has been a few years and I have been told they no longer exist.

But I would be willing to put in on the lease for small game only.
After deer season closes.

I would like get into something like that.

I wouldn't deer hunt it so no pressure from me on the deer.

Rabbits are what I would be after ;)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Depending on where in SW MI I might be very interested. As you stated finding good hunting land is a real problem in this part of the state-for me anyway.
Darrin

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hey Dave,

I know a couple friends who lease land every year for big money! I bet they'd be interested in your idea. Keep me posted as to what goes on! I think you are on to something that could send you promptly into retirement!!! lol ie. more time for hunting/fishing!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,734 Posts
Howdy-

I'd like to hear the details if it comes to pass.....

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me get through this years hunting and approach these guys then.

I will keep you all posted and write your names down.
Thanks for replying. At least I see that there are some people interested.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would also be very interested for myself, my spouse, and possibly my brother.
I live in Montcalm but work in SW Kent so it might work out so I could finally hunt mid-week after work. Yeaaaa!
Auditor

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
I think it could be a great idea if you can make it work. I would like to be kept informed.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
Originally posted by Amos
I think it could be a great idea if you can make it work. I would like to be kept informed.
I agree with Amos. Mostly it would depend on the land, price and how far to the southwest. If it's something I could drive to from the downriver area without having to spend the night I could be enticed. Please keep me informed.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I have always been interested in this sort of idea. Please keep me posted.

Dan Frein

1 - 20 of 37 Posts