Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am guessing 2.5 years old but if people have experience aging deer on the hoof I would appreciate any guidance on what to look for and thoughts on this particular deer. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I am figuring out how to post videos in the Forum, new to the website. I will post the videos soon. Thank you for taking a look.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm not seeing any deer....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Can't help it....i am sorry...

There are quite a few posts on these forums about that subject!!!
Roflmao

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Accuracy in aging on the hoof or by photos is not well, all that accurate.

A general idea based on knowing the deer in your area with your genetics, soil type etc. can be obtained.

How accurate? See scores on the Illinois buck in the June/July issue of Quality Whitetails magazine page 16.
Age This section. Even the experts have a hard time agreeing.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
0 Posts
The older deer get, the harder it is to tell 'em apart, at least for me.

I think it's fairly easy to distinguish between fawns and older deer, and between yearling bucks and bucks that are 2.5 or older. Beyond that, I freely admit to not being all that good at telling the difference, but that's partly because I am not concerned about it, at that point. If a buck is 2.5 or older, he is going to have the kind of body mass that makes him a shooter, in my book. Oh, he has antlers? That's nice.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I am guessing 2.5 years old but if people have experience aging deer on the hoof I would appreciate any guidance on what to look for and thoughts on this particular deer. Thank you.
Aging deer on the hoof is not always accurate as Koz said in his post, but can help in younger deer in the 1 to 3 year range. For aging bucks, the best and only time of year to be fairly accurate is in the fall of year before post rut. Trying to age bucks this time of year is at best a guessing game.

·
Premium Member
4,961 Posts
IMO you can age bucks on hoof to 1.5 or 2.5 or older fairly easy during the hunting season.

Even with that said we had a deer checked at was one and half to this day I swear it was a two year old with screwed up teeth.

It was 140# lake count 8pt. 1.5yo. Go figure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts