Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use leaders on my tip ups and was wondering what everone else does. I am considering using a piece of spider wire or similar about 18" long instead of a leader. Does anybody have experience with this? I am pike fishing with the occasional perch or bass hit.

DougV>

· Registered
323 Posts
Do what you feel comfortable. Personally, I run straight 12 lb mono on all my tip ups, no leader needed. I check the line after every flag for knicks and retie if necessary. I do think that mono is better than a steel leader and even braid so if your worried about pike seeing your line, stay away from those two.

· Registered
3,055 Posts
I use 30lb nylon tipup line. No leader or tippet. I have been averaging 6 flags out each time. They have never bite through it.

Redneckman

· Banned
203 Posts
All personal opinion here - read at your own risk.

My personal opinion is that the braided (fireline/spiderwire) type lines are not good as leader material for pike as mono or fluoro. I had a few break-offs this year using the braided that didn't seem to happen last year using mono leaders. It seemed like the only way to cut through the braided was with clippers, scissors, etc., which is exactly what a pikes inner mouth is like. Don't get me wrong, I like throwing crankbaits with the braided lines, they just don't make good pike leaders. I have seen 20lb Vanish work well and last year I used heavier (12-15#) Berkely Big Game successfully.

I never use real steel leaders for summer or winter fishing, and I have found that finding the correct (smallest) size of barrel swivel that is strong enough to do the job is best. Colors of barrels swivels are important too - only black. Some of the cheaper brands or flashy swivels attract and scare fish. However, I want the fish concentrating on the bait at the hook, not the top of the leader. In Canada, I have seen fish hit rods with a black snap swivel, but not the same bait with a bronze colored snap.

Just my .02 - best of luck.

JL

· Registered
599 Posts
I like to use 4-6lb floro for a leader for both pike and walleyes. I do lose an occasional pike but the amout of flags more than makes up for it. I also like to use a circle hook because it tends to move to the corner of the mouth. I usually only lose fish when I first set the hook.

· Registered
149 Posts
walmart sells "toothy critter" leaders in 10 foot lengths. this product is super thin and flexable and can be tied. I use 20#. It is braided stainless with a coating on it. I also put a dab of super glue on the knots to prevent it from slipping out. $9.00 fo 10 foot. $ $ $

I used to use 25# and 40# mono as a leader but I have had them chew thru, thats not good for me or the fish.

They don't appear to be shy of this stuff. In Dec, I caught a 37inch and 32 inch pike on the toothy critter stuff. Oh yea, I don't work for wal mart or toothy critter.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
I like 7 strand trolling wire 30lb it is about 8lb dia. and tieable i take pike and eyes consistantly with it. I fish mainly big fish waters and have broken off too many trophies with all the other stuff I have used.

· Registered
13 Posts
For pike i dont beleve they are picky on what they hit on i use 30# steel leaders and get as many flags as most on the lake i dont think pike care much i have eaven forgot a depth finder on there one time and still cought a pike

· Registered
3,838 Posts
newfish said:
walmart sells "toothy critter" leaders in 10 foot lengths. this product is super thin and flexable and can be tied. I use 20#. It is braided stainless with a coating on it. I also put a dab of super glue on the knots to prevent it from slipping out. $9.00 fo 10 foot. $ $ $

I used to use 25# and 40# mono as a leader but I have had them chew thru, thats not good for me or the fish.

They don't appear to be shy of this stuff. In Dec, I caught a 37inch and 32 inch pike on the toothy critter stuff. Oh yea, I don't work for wal mart or toothy critter.
I had been thinking about buying a spool of Tyger leader, which is also supposed to be a thin, braided wire that can be tied. 30' of 15# test (.014"dia) costs $33.00 when you add tax and shipping, so $9.00 for 10' is actually a better buy, if it performs as well as Tyger: anyone have any experience comparing the two?
BTW: I use 14# BassPro Excel mono leader on one tipup and a wire lead on the other: Seems like I get more flags on the mono, however the steel leaders I have been using have all been pretty thick, plus having swivels and snaps on them, which I think detract from their effectiveness. Want to compare mono to a thinner wire that will be less visible.
DaveW

· Registered
295 Posts
For over ten years, EVERY pike I've caught has been hooked in the corner of the mouth. This has been on Slammer Tip-Ups with either a Slammin' Rig which consists of 18# 7-Strand wire and a #4 Eagle Claw L374 Treble OR while fishing for walleyes with 6 or 8 pound Stren Magnathin or Stren Fluorocarbon and I've YET to break one off or been bit off other than getting wrapped on underwater structure. I have pinned a couple to the bottom of the ice and lost those, but that's MY fault, not my equipment's.

· Registered
289 Posts
For many years all I used was the basic 30 lb ice line with a 12" wire leader with a #4 treble.

Tried a few different presentations including mono and noticed no difference in the amount of strikes but lost more fish to break-offs.

Most lakes that have good #'s of pike will always have a few older very large fish.( 20#and up) These older pike are very lazy and love to find a meal on the bottom that is easy for them to find and grab ahold of.

Targeting these older fish takes alot of patience. This time of year you need to set up on the deeper drop-offs below the weed lines on your favorite water.

Try a 3" swedish hook with a sardine or stinky dead sucker. Drop this bait right on the bottom then bring it up about 6", a little lead above it will help keep it there. I live on my favorite pike water so it is is for me to tend a tip-up in this manner for hours or days if I have the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.