Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,722 Posts
Thats a wide open subject, depending upon the fish being pursued and the fly being presented. Most of my leaders for bigger flies on a 6 ,and all flies on heavier rods have Mason hard mono butt sections, and Seaguar or Orvis Floro tip sections. If I need a bite tippet it will be either a haywire for surface baits/divers or Tyger Wire for streamers.
On smaller streamers (like #2 and down) it will generally be just sections of Seaguar or Orvis floro.
For smaller dries generally I will just use any reputable tapered mono leader, than add tippet of Maxima as needed. I don't like floro for little dries, floro sinks too quickly, making it hard to get a good drift, and really messing with small dries.
Some guys like furled leaders. I don't do enough work with the small rods to really need to get into tring them, much less tying them.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ESOX said:
For smaller dries generally I will just use any reputable tapered mono leader, than add tippet of Maxima as needed. I don't like floro for little dries, floro sinks too quickly, making it hard to get a good drift, and really messing with small dries.
quote]

what color of maxima do you prefer.....clear - chameleon or ultra green

by the way I'm mainly looking for sugestions / information for leaders for drys and nymps in the size 12 thru 18 range. There seams to be way too many brands and manufactures to choose from :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I like Mason for the butt, and Maxima for the center section; I like Chameleon. If I'm fishing dries I stick with the Maxima, or Frog's Hair; for nymphs I usually will use flourocarbon.

Dan:fish:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
When indicator nymphing for trout or steelhead, I tie leaders using Maxima Ultragreen with a Maxima Flourocarbon tippet.

For dries I like the manufactured "knotless" tapered leaders in a non-flouro material. Umpqua makes some nice leaders and I usually like Orvis or Frog Hair non-flouro tippet material. Flourocarbon has a tendency to sink which can make picking up a dry off the surface sloppy and noisy. Exception to the knotless leaders is night-time hex fishing, then its hand-tied with all Maxima Ultragreen, including a stout tippet.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
I'm with Gun rod. If I'm tying leaders for dry flies for trout I use Frog hair. The stuff is very supple. I will sometimes blend using Maxima, which is stiff as heck, for the butt pieces and then use FH for the end pieces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts