Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to fly fishing and had a question about lines and leaders. It seems that all lines are about the same besides floating/sinking, and level or tapered, but leaders are much more complex. (i'm sure i'll learn lines are more complicated than i've led on but for now i think i can get by with what i know)

What are your thoughts on one piece leaders vs. tying your own leaders. is there really an advantage to making my own leader out of multiple materials over buying one that's ready to loop onto my line? I've heard castability is an issue, but the one piece leaders ive used dont give me any problems.

Also, where can i learn how to tie leaders. I typically fish for trout with dries but this also do some panfish fishing with popers and pike fishing with streamers. It seems there are so many materials i dont even know where to start.

·
Registered
865 Posts
shanny28757 said:
I am new to fly fishing and had a question about lines and leaders. It seems that all lines are about the same besides floating/sinking, and level or tapered, but leaders are much more complex. (i'm sure i'll learn lines are more complicated than i've led on but for now i think i can get by with what i know)

What are your thoughts on one piece leaders vs. tying your own leaders. is there really an advantage to making my own leader out of multiple materials over buying one that's ready to loop onto my line? I've heard castability is an issue, but the one piece leaders ive used dont give me any problems.

Also, where can i learn how to tie leaders. I typically fish for trout with dries but this also do some panfish fishing with popers and pike fishing with streamers. It seems there are so many materials i dont even know where to start.
If you are looking into making your own leaders, I'd suggest you look into learning how to make a furled leader. I personally think they fish better than a mono leader, certainly for dry fly fishing for trout/panfish, not sure about pike. The materials are much cheaper to initially buy.

Do a search of "furled Leader" in Google and you'll find alot of information.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
If your not having any issues with store bought tappered leaders than you may just want to stay with that until you find a need to tie your own.

I pretty much only use my own tied tapered leaders. It gives me a little better control & drifts in certain situaitons. I can make extra stout, extra limp, & extra long. These are for unique situations and my hand tied leader will perform better than the store bought because store bought typically doesn't have these type of lines.

When I'm not using my own leaders, the fishing situation is normal, I then use furled leaders at that point. I like those because I can change the size of the fly and only need to change the tippet in order to get continue to get a good turnover. If I used tappered leader I would more than likely need to change the whole leader to get the best turn over.

I hope that helps a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts