Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the previous starting out thread which has helped me alot since I'm starting out as well.

There is a big discussion on lead core. What brand and size reel do you use for your lead core? A charter captain/book author suggested the the Shimano Tekota 700 for a full core but at $180/reel that gets a little pricey.

I plan on running 5 and 10 color only. If I need shallower I'll clip on a couple ounce weight.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Check out fishdogCo.com. they sell some nice combos at resonable prices.They used to go to most of the shows so you may want to find out where they'll be and purchase one right at the show.
Good Luck

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
The Tekotas really are a great reel. At a lower price, the Penn 330 and 340 are good reels for full core and fore and a half. For half cores, you can get away with the 320, or the 47S diawas if you can find them. Some guys like the Okumas, I personally don't care for them.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
My plan when I moved back to MI and got back into big lake fishing was to get bulked out with budget gear to start and once I was setup replace with quality gear later. I started w 4 Okuma Mag45D reels and rods after being told by many they were cheap junk 5 seasons and lots of fish later they are still working fine. If you take decent care of them they will live for years and if you don't take care of them even the good reels will die. I don't know what size boat you have or where you fish but it is pretty easy to end up with a dozen or more rod and reel combos for what we do and most of them are single purpose rods once setup so changing setups is not like bass fishing where you can have a couple of rods and change them to differant styles of fishing in a hurry. So unless you are starting a charter service you don't need all the best gear in the world to go out and catch fish and the fish can't tell you are using a cheap rod and reel.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
i have run penn 330gti's for 9 years with full core and absoluetly zero issues ( 120$$ ) as far as short cores i run 2-3 color off of diawas 47lc's for the same amount of time with zero issues ( not to be confused with accudepth reels)

·
Registered
430 Posts
im with maniac on this...i run all okuma reels...my convector works just as well as my magdas...as far as full core you can put it on a 45 with superline backing...best case being a 55

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
+i use the cabelas goldmaster for my lead core and other lines. the largest one holds a full core with superline backing. best thing about cabela products they are very forgiving when something goes wrong. usually replace their gear or give a big discount on the new and improved model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts