Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for all you experienced fisherman who spend lots of time on the big lake. If you had to rig four lead core reels, how many colors would you put on each one? I know they all have their different days but what are the steadiest producers for colors on a reel?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I run 5 total. 2-3-5 and a 3-7. 2 and 5 out one side and a 3 and 7 out the other and the other 3 as an SWR on the chute rigger.

So to answer your specific question I would do a 2 & 3 & 5 and a full or 10. But someone else is reeling in that full. LOL Steve

·
Registered
426 Posts
2,3,5,10 color--A 2-Pak of lead will be all you need. Also, I would run that whole spread on one side of the boat with 4 boards.
In time, you can upgrade to run coppers on the other side (100,150,200,300). I like to run all depth zones for optimizing mixed bag catches and increase the amount of fish that you can catch.

Hone in your riggers and diver rods to target a specific depth that you feel is the sweet spot. That's my 2 cents anyway...

·
Registered
542 Posts
I prefer a mix of lead and copper. I'd rather reel in 200 copper than 300 lead or 300 copper than 450 lead. I keep 2 short leads (3 and 5) for outside planers and sometimes run a 2 color as an swr on a rigger. Most of my fish now are coming 60 ft or more down and that would take 15 colors.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I run all copper now simply because lead hasn't done much for me. 100, 150, 225, 300 all rigged up. However I keep my short cores ready for close to the pier salmon.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
ok, you are running 4 different colors like 3, 5, 7, 10. If you 5 color is keep catching fish, what do you do next? do you put the other three rod away? do you add one ounce to 3 color so it runs same depth as 5 color and you only have 2 useless rods? it is got to be a way to make all four rod productive? I know you do not want to tie leadcore to the board because it damages the line. same problem with copper. I am not catching much on either lead or copper. got 2 10 color and 2 300 feet 45 lb copper. hopefully, I found an article how to setup 2 lead and 2 copper lines.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not sure how long your leaders are off the lead/copper rods you are running but if you are running long leads shorten them up. 25' max j really like the 15-18' length or three "wingspans" when using fingertip to fingertip vs. measuring. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
ok, you are running 4 different colors like 3, 5, 7, 10. If you 5 color is keep catching fish, what do you do next? do you put the other three rod away? do you add one ounce to 3 color so it runs same depth as 5 color and you only have 2 useless rods? it is got to be a way to make all four rod productive? I know you do not want to tie leadcore to the board because it damages the line. same problem with copper. I am not catching much on either lead or copper. got 2 10 color and 2 300 feet 45 lb copper. hopefully, I found an article how to setup 2 lead and 2 copper lines.
Depends on what your running as well. Paddles pull line up and plugs pull line down too. If I got a 3 or 4 color going I sure hope my 50-100 coppers are hitting with same lure. Getting deeper is easy with snap weights. If I had a 3, 5 and 10 and only 3 is going I'll segment my lead with a piece of mono to clip board on or match with copper. Sometimes I will run just a line right out the back with just 3 colors though it may be a full core reel. Just gotta watch clearing lines with fish or power reel up quick to prevent tangles. Ive had short core days so hot ive cut off extra colors and wrapped them up on anything I can find in the boat and splice them in later or another day. Thats nice about lead compared to copper. Copper less knots and splices the better. I dont mind mono inbetween all my colors of lead.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SS
I like your ideas, I have thought about piecing mono in between a few colors. Threading the mono into the core seems to be a great knot. I have never had any breaks on my lead line.

·
Registered
495 Posts
for all you experienced fisherman who spend lots of time on the big lake. If you had to rig four lead core reels, how many colors would you put on each one? I know they all have their different days but what are the steadiest producers for colors on a reel?
3, 5, 7 and 10. 5 core produces most before July. 10 core the best after. Buy some stinger dive bombs to add on the line if you need a little extra core depth. I would also get at least one 300 copper for later season fishing. I have days when I may have been skunked without it. If you run the 3 off a rigger(SWR) make sure it's the deepest one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
SS
I like your ideas, I have thought about piecing mono in between a few colors. Threading the mono into the core seems to be a great knot. I have never had any breaks on my lead line.
Ive never had any break either. Some guys fear all those knots throughout the leadcore, but I trust every knot I ty. I replace my splices often especially where boards are constantly clipped on.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
SS
That will work but, it won't run good say on your outside with sag from the lead in front of the board. I didn't have enough rods when I first started, I did have a bunch of reels so If needed I just switched reels on the water if I needed to add another 3 color or something.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Do any of you guys use the drop weights anymore? I used to fish the one and two pound drop weights with lots of success. Cost of lead today makes it cost prohibitive I imagine. I chase salmon a couple weekend a year these days and still use this technique. I have never tried it with leadcore.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
2 2's
2 3's
2 5's
2 10's

That's what I have on my dingy. Throw in a 150 and 300 copper and you can make a heck of a mess???
The problem I have is storage for all the rods a guy wants.

Good luck in your quest for tackle you will soon find that you never have enough or the right spoons. Its an addiction.

Grizzly

1 - 20 of 35 Posts