Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at leadcore using it for the first time in Manistee this past weekend. What lb test should I get? What is an inexpensive reel that would work and should I use a 10' rod or will a 8' work? Lastly, how do you attach a leader to the leadcore?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just me, but I use 27lb.with Penn 49's for 10 and more colors, not level wind, but reliable and fast. 209's would be cheap (and slow) and would take enough backing for 5 colors. Best way to attach the leader is to pull out about 3 inches of lead and put the leader in the sleeve and tie an overhand knot or two in the sleeve / leader.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Go with the 27# test. A Penn 209 will hold 7 colors with PP backing. An Okuma Pro CL 452 will hold a full core and is inexpensive. When it comes to the rod, I prefer one with a soft tip and allot of backbone.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think the knot twiceasnice is talking about is called the willis knot....

http://www.upangler.com/leadcore.html

This is the knot I have been tying, haven't had any issues with it yet. It will take a minute or two to get it right, but once you do it a few times it is too easy!!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I converted 2 old rigger poles to a 6 color and a 3 color set-up with 8 ft poles and old penn 209 reels and they work but they are slow to crank in a fish and the 6 color is a little low on backing. so some bigger down rigger set ups will work, but something bigger like penn gt320 or better yet a penn gt330 would be be better with 10' pole.
I was just in gander mnt in G.R. tonight and they had 10 color set ups with gt330 all rigged up for around $160.00 and 5 color on gt320 with 10' poles for $130's
my 10 colors are on these gt330's and I do like them. also i've used diawa 57's on other boats for lead and they also work good.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I'm new at leadcore using it for the first time in Manistee this past weekend. What lb test should I get? What is an inexpensive reel that would work and should I use a 10' rod or will a 8' work? Lastly, how do you attach a leader to the leadcore?
I bought 2 this year at the tackle box in frankfort,comes complete with leadcore 10 colors 109.00bucks thats a great deal,and they have proven well thus far this year...GoodLuck Mark

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
i use penn 320gtis for lead, the gto series is great too! these work fine for 2-7 color rigs, back them with cheap dacron, then add 10-20ft of 15# mono and attach your lead, after that finish with a 15# leader 7ft or more long, i put on about 20ft for the end leader, some guys go nuts. short leaders work great for fishing shallow water in the spring and fall.

use the 27# mason lead, its great...
i would move to copper instead of fishing 10 colors or more though, alot less reeling to do and a much better feel on the fish. you'll need bigger reels though for copper.

don't go under 27# lead because you can't fit heavy enough mono in it, same with the mono, don't go too big or you'll have difficulities with the willis knot. 27# lead and 14-15# mono works great for me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Another new option for getting your existing lead-core rigs deeper is those Dive Bomb weights made by Michigan Stinger. They seem to work really well and allow your to get more work out of the same rods. I have segmented 10-color lead-cores (segmented at 3, 5 or six colors). Using 2 oz. or 4 oz dive bombs with at different segments seems to cover down to 80' pretty easily.

I've had my 10 color lead core with 4oz. dive bomb come up with zebra mussels in 100 feet of water when that line was sinking on the inside of a turn.

I was going to get a copper set-up this year (and I probably still will eventually), but I want to play around with the versitility of the Dive Bombs a little more.

Bill

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I can't imagine how long it would take to crank in a 7 color on a Penn 209..

LOL

Get the big Okuma Convectors or larger Penns...your crew will thank you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought 2 this year at the tackle box in frankfort,comes complete with leadcore 10 colors 109.00bucks thats a great deal,and they have proven well thus far this year...GoodLuck Mark
- Willie

What model reel and rod is the tackle box selling? I may pick up a couple this weekend.

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have seen that FishDogCo.com has premade combos with rod, reel, backing and leadcore. reasonable prices too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts