Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very fortunate this year and have killed four deer (three from dnr issued herd management tags on a private farm). All four were does.

I butcher my own deer and have for years. I have always been shocked how a big deer (2.5 years plus) can turn into such a small amount of venison. It is always so disapointing for me.

I average somewhere around 25 pounds of boneless, fat free, almost sinew free venison per deer. What do you think you average?

·
Banned
81 Posts
If you are as picky as we are, then that is about right. We remove all fat and silver skin and end up with almost pure venison, even the stuff we grind.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I have been very fortunate this year and have killed four deer (three from dnr issued herd management tags on a private farm). All four were does.

I butcher my own deer and have for years. I have always been shocked how a big deer (2.5 years plus) can turn into such a small amount of venison. It is always so disapointing for me.

I average somewhere around 25 pounds of boneless, fat free, almost sinew free venison per deer. What do you think you average?
That sounds about right to me for deer averaging around 100 lbs. dressed. I'm sure I toss a lot of meat that others end up grinding, but if there's one thing I hate it's that tallowy taste and feeling you get in your mouth from eating ground venison. I don't mix mine with pork unless I'm making sausage, and ever since I started to be a bit more selective with my trimming and what goes in the grinder it's made a huge difference.

I think a lot of the tables guess about 40-50% of the dressed weight in boneless meat. I think I average closer to 30-35% for most of the bucks I've shot, and probably 25-30% for does. It depends on how shot up they are, and how much they weigh. There's quite a jump as the dressed weight gets above 140 lbs. or so in terms of the overall meat I get.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
This makes me wish I would have weighed the buck I shot last weekend as I got back about 65 pounds of ground venison. I did have them add a little beef fat too it but it wasn't more than 5 lbs. I've got venison coming out my ears.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I get about 25 lbs of burger(pork mixed in 4:1) and whatever the loins weigh on the does. I process my own and remove all fat and silver sh1t. Glad I'm not the only one wondering where it all went. :)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
This makes me wish I would have weighed the buck I shot last weekend as I got back about 65 pounds of ground venison. I did have them add a little beef fat too it but it wasn't more than 5 lbs. I've got venison coming out my ears.
This is why I'll never have a deer processed by someone else ever again. I got about the same back a few years ago and it had bone chips and everything else in it. Tasted like crap.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
And than there is the old wives tail that "the processor stole some of your meat':dizzy:

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
This is why I'll never have a deer processed by someone else ever again. I got about the same back a few years ago and it had bone chips and everything else in it. Tasted like crap.

That's not my concern. We have friends cut ours up and sometimes I sit there and watch them do it. I just meant I got back more meat than I expected which makes me wonder just how heavy the deer was.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The other thing I worry about is whether you're getting your deer back or not. I go through too much trouble to take care of the deer once I pull the trigger to then have to worry about getting a different deer back that spent the last two weeks riding in the back of a truck. Back in 2001 when it was so warm, I shot a buck that deer on opening day and it was quartered and in the fridge the same night. I know of a couple guys that let them hang with ice in the cavity for a couple days and they were shot. I knew another guy that shot a buck opening morning, let it hang for a week in the heat, then drove around with it for a week before taking it in. He still got back the normal amount of meat. Where did his meat end up, and if it wasn't in the dumpster, then who donated the meat he got?

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
And than there is the old wives tail that "the processor stole some of your meat':dizzy:

Shhhhh! Don't bring that up DG. We have yet to see a thread with that accusatory topic..........and it is indeed a old wives tail.........errr!..........tale.

I've been cutting up my own venison for many years, boning it all and rarely grinding any up into hamburg. For those who have never done it and are daunted by the suggestion of cutting it up yourself and thinking that you need all kinds of special knives you'd be surprised at how easy it becomes with each deer that you cut up.

I've got it down to the point where most of the boning.......except for the front shoulders.....is done while the deer is hanging in the garage.

All you need is a deer........skinned...........one or two good knives.......a cutting board........packaging material. Of course if you're doing hamburg you need a way to grind it or a place you can take it to for grinding. If you do the latter I urge you to have the grinding done while you're standing there and have them grind ONLY your meat rather than weighing it and then mixing with other meat from other deer.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Shhhhh! Don't bring that up DG. We have yet to see a thread with that accusatory topic..........and it is indeed a old wives tail.........errr!..........tale.

I've got it down to the point where most of the boning.......except for the front shoulders.....is done while the deer is hanging in the garage.
I am going to start a new topic Beware: Processors that steal meat!!!

Can you please sticky it:evil:

As for boning them on the meat hook, that is what we do as well. Bring them in cut them into meal sized portions, trim fat, sinew, and silver skin. Freeze in meal sized portions as larger hunks store better and vacuum seal.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
"Bad DeGoose"............."Naughty DeGoose".............:lol:

·
Banned
81 Posts
That's not what he said. He only was mentioning the quality of what he got back. That's what happens sometimes when you have a processor turn an entire deer into burger. You get everything, fat silver skin, bone chips, and all.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
That's not what he said. He only was mentioning the quality of what he got back. That's what happens sometimes when you have a processor turn an entire deer into burger. You get everything, fat silver skin, bone chips, and all.
I think you're misunderstanding DG's intent. He is not directing that at the author of this thread, but rather making a comment on an often heard refrain.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
25lbs of meat from a 2.5 year old?? that is super low. When I cut up my deer there is nothing but bones left. You are leaving a ton of meat some place.
Heck I get 10lbs of just sausage meat. That dosnt even include burger and steaks and roasts.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts