Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
My main Lake Michigan fishing partner lives in Esky just south of Gladstone. He sent me this pic. yesterday. Who says you need a Sabiki rig? He and his grandson
Water Fish hook Bait Fishing bait Fishing lure
snagged two more on crankbaits when they switched over. Six walleye kept in the 17-22" range. Marked change in alewife numbers when compared to 2015. Salmon should be in the old Pleistocene era trench that was the main outflow of the Whitefish glacier as well as off Whaleback shoal down by Cedar River. Remember, part of Whaleback is Wisconsin water

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Any of you guys know of where to try for burbot in that neck of the woods? Have been in search of that info for years! We have a camp in Rapid River and would love some fresh burbs in November while at camp.

I know someone knows! Tell me please! I won't tell anyone :censored:

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I tried to do my Masters Research on Great Lakes burbot, but could not get my proposal funded after three submissions. They spawn when water temps. reach their ebb in late Fall/early Winter ascending rivers or spawning on gravel off their mouths. You should be able to catch some when the water temps drop doe to 40F in the Whitefish Channel. Smelt fished on bottom below a barrel sinker and in-line swivel off a tip-up works quite well, with better catches at night. They are much like catfsih and bullheads, using their barbels to locate prey. When I still had my camp up by the Sturgeon River in Baraga Co. we used to help a group at the sportsman's club west of Baraga who set several hoop nets under ice and divided their catch up among the participants. Most were of Finnish descent and Burbot are quite a big part of their diets. You should be able to catch some up off Garth Point, on the northern edge of that deeper water off the Days River winter access road or down by Saunders Pt. off Gladstone, as well as south of the USFS campground opposite Gladstone near the channel buoy off the drop-off.

Your other option would be to check the fyke netting laws in the fishing regulations and determine whether you can set them in November. The Tacoosh and Rapid are too shallow for the most part.

Clean them like you would a bullhead via a cirular cut through the skin just behind the gill opening, after you gut them. Grab a pair of channel locks or pliers and get ahold of a tuft of skin while holding the head and pull. The skin will peel right off in one strip in a single pull. You will end-up with three pieces of VERY good meat when you make a cut behind the rib cage and fillet the chunks off over the ribs.

When i started working for MSU's Great Lakes Research Lab I was hired as a diver to swim gillnets off the beach for a doctoral student who was studying seasonal fish populations in the surge zone. I also dove on an array of fixed current meters mounted on buoy fixed cables around the Ludington Pumped Storage Plant to .periodically change film packs and batteries. We had to check the moorings each time. At the deeper stations in 80 to120 FOW burbot were usually hanging around the mooring blocks, which were those concrete parking lot barriears that are anchored in the asphalt. We would sometimes catch them by hand and stuff them in our stash bags or the velcro compartment in the front of our BCs. I wrote-up an age and growth and food habits study off the specimens we caught via aging their otoliths. Never did get anything larger than 8lbs. but there are fish far larger than that out there. We caught several in the ten to 14lb range when we were fishing gillnets under-ice on the St. Marys River, most right on the edge of the shipping channel when I was working for the Feds. Never got a tag return on any of them..

.https://lrboi-nsn.gov/images/docs/nrd/docs/Manistee_River_Burbot_Assessment.pdf

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I usually fish the bay the first full week after the opener. Been on the floating jig head / crankbait program, but after seeing the posts here and the results from some of guys in camp the same week we were - I’ll be picking up some new bottom bouncers and crawler harnesses before heading back up in July!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I tried to do my Masters Research on Great Lakes burbot, but could not get my proposal funded after three submissions. They spawn when water temps. reach their ebb in late Fall/early Winter ascending rivers or spawning on gravel off their mouths. You should be able to catch some when the water temps drop doe to 40F in the Whitefish Channel. Smelt fished on bottom below a barrel sinker and in-line swivel off a tip-up works quite well, with better catches at night. They are much like catfsih and bullheads, using their barbels to locate prey. When I still had my camp up by the Sturgeon River in Baraga Co. we used to help a group at the sportsman's club west of Baraga who set several hoop nets under ice and divided their catch up among the participants. Most were of Finnish descent and Burbot are quite a big part of their diets. You should be able to catch some up off Garth Point, on the northern edge of that deeper water off the Days River winter access road or down by Saunders Pt. off Gladstone, as well as south of the USFS campground opposite Gladstone near the channel buoy off the drop-off.

Your other option would be to check the fyke netting laws in the fishing regulations and determine whether you can set them in November. The Tacoosh and Rapid are too shallow for the most part.

Clean them like you would a bullhead via a cirular cut through the skin just behind the gill opening, after you gut them. Grab a pair of channel locks or pliers and get ahold of a tuft of skin while holding the head and pull. The skin will peel right off in one strip in a single pull. You will end-up with three pieces of VERY good meat when you make a cut behind the rib cage and fillet the chunks off over the ribs.

When i started working for MSU's Great Lakes Research Lab I was hired as a diver to swim gillnets off the beach for a doctoral student who was studying seasonal fish populations in the surge zone. I also dove on an array of fixed current meters mounted on buoy fixed cables around the Ludington Pumped Storage Plant to .periodically change film packs and batteries. We had to check the moorings each time. At the deeper stations in 80 to120 FOW burbot were usually hanging around the mooring blocks, which were those concrete parking lot barriears that are anchored in the asphalt. We would sometimes catch them by hand and stuff them in our stash bags or the velcro compartment in the front of our BCs. I wrote-up an age and growth and food habits study off the specimens we caught via aging their otoliths. Never did get anything larger than 8lbs. but there are fish far larger than that out there. We caught several in the ten to 14lb range when we were fishing gillnets under-ice on the St. Marys River, most right on the edge of the shipping channel when I was working for the Feds. Never got a tag return on any of them..

.https://lrboi-nsn.gov/images/docs/nrd/docs/Manistee_River_Burbot_Assessment.pdf

Good luck!
Thanks for the info! We go to the thumb a few times each fall and catch a few. Really looking forward to going after them this November up there, I definitely try those areas

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
fihttps://lrboi-nsn.gov/images/docs/nrd/docs/Manistee_River_Burbot_Assessment.pdf
File this under things I should have thought to do: Youtube has some ice fishing for burbot videos. Page 23 has the fyke net/hoop net regulations for burbot and open streams...the Whitefish River is not one of them due to the salmon and trout populations that spawn there. Yes, they spawn in the Autrain Riber, too, but not in the numbers that use the Whitefish.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Here are the resuts of an Ohio State University study focused on determining what walleye lure colors they 'should' prefer based on background incident light penetration levels... Remember, the Color Selector was based on the same focus on what color fish SHOULD percieve and therefore prefer, it was a BUST as a fishing aid. Why it still is fishing and not catching...

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Was down on LBDN last weekend. Walleye have dispersed, but you can still pick them up. We caugth seven fish in the 17 to 24" range on our first evening fish. ALL stomachs were empty,, so I can't give you any help on what they were keying in on. Blown off the following morning. Yes, alewife are in the bay in numbers spawning.. If you have trolling gear try south of the Escanaba Marina ramp at the navigation buoy on the side opposite the prevailing wind direction for salmon. Smallmouth are in on their beds right now so tube jigs and spinner baits will work, as well as crank baits trolled if the weather cools or it rains pushing fish offshore in both LBDN and BBDN up in the "boot" working along either the first drop-off or the second. We occasionally catch walleye, too, on harnesses dragged along that break up off the Fishdam (Big and Little). Water is down 22" from last year so I have not tried to launch out of the Fishdam. Nahma is always available, just watch the sructure after you get out onto open water.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Checked the weekly fishing report....not much to add from that. The creel clerks just reported that the walleye had dispersed and could be picked-up on reefs, and guys fishing south of the Ford were doing better now. Smallmouth fishery is rolling along well.

·
Premium Member
7,225 Posts
Hey, I know that fish house!

Glad you did well, it's been a weirdly cool summer thus far...about two weeks behind. Smallmouth are just getting started. Tube jigs are working best for fish in shallow and stick baits for trollers.
I’m gonna guess and say it’s ken and Kevin’s fish house?

·
Premium Member
7,225 Posts
Any of you guys know of where to try for burbot in that neck of the woods? Have been in search of that info for years! We have a camp in Rapid River and would love some fresh burbs in November while at camp.

I know someone knows! Tell me please! I won't tell anyone :censored:
Off the the terrace during ice fishing last 30 minutes of light to after dark , glow jigs.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts