Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did our annual June fish camp on LBDN with
our usual group of fishing bums.

Fish (walleyes) came few and far between. Actually,
any fish came seldom, well, except for bull heads. Very
few perch or pike.

Weather was un-settled, but we usually catch some fish
in worse. Just couldn't get anything going, in the river or
on the reefs or deep, just not able to put anything together.

It was still a good trip with old friends, and we made the deposit
for next year. Love that area.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Did our annual June fish camp on LBDN with
our usual group of fishing bums.

Fish (walleyes) came few and far between. Actually,
any fish came seldom, well, except for bull heads. Very
few perch or pike.

Weather was un-settled, but we usually catch some fish
in worse. Just couldn't get anything going, in the river or
on the reefs or deep, just not able to put anything together.

It was still a good trip with old friends, and we made the deposit
for next year. Love that area.
We also were there and a much different report the walleye were hot and heavy beginning of the week then slowed down. By midweek it's was tough fishing except for pike bass and perch lots of perch the bullhead statement couldn't be more true.we have never caught so many in 1 week
Window Wood Extinction Fossil Metal

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
We also were there and a much different report the walleye were hot and heavy beginning of the week then slowed down. By midweek it's was tough fishing except for pike bass and perch lots of perch the bullhead statement couldn't be more true.we have never caught so many in 1 week View attachment 837118
Hey, I know that fish house!

Glad you did well, it's been a weirdly cool summer thus far...about two weeks behind. Smallmouth are just getting started. Tube jigs are working best for fish in shallow and stick baits for trollers.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
We also were there and a much different report the walleye were hot and heavy beginning of the week then slowed down. By midweek it's was tough fishing except for pike bass and perch lots of perch the bullhead statement couldn't be more true.we have never caught so many in 1 week View attachment 837118
Can you please expand on your report? i've always struggled up there.

Were you trolling? Daytime or night (lot of night trolling up there)

bandits or worms?

general area?

Great job

thanks

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We did the same. Started at the river mouth in the morning, moved out
on to the reefs later. Later in the week even worked the east side dropoffs
down past the campground. Used crawler harnesses and floating jigs
behind bottom bouncers. We did catch a few fish, just not the numbers
we've experienced in the past.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
We did the same. Started at the river mouth in the morning, moved out
on to the reefs later. Later in the week even worked the east side dropoffs
down past the campground. Used crawler harnesses and floating jigs
behind bottom bouncers. We did catch a few fish, just not the numbers
we've experienced in the past.
Another option to drifting or trolling crawler harnesses; 1/4 ounce, or on windy days 3/8s ounce lead head jigs dragging 3" Live Gulp minnows in goby brown/green, white, or fire tiger drifted on the edge of the reefs you generally fish. Also, mid-day trolling with husky jerks run behind in-line boards along the edges of the steep break off to the east and southeast of the Days, off the Gladstone beach and mouth of the Escanaba in the "Black Bottoms" area where you also may pick-up perch. Keep in mind that the warmer surface water will build-up on that east shore, particularly on windy days, so if the bay is cold, it may be productive. If the water is warm, the depths on the west side will get the fish out of the bright mid-day sun rays penetration. Wind generated surface chop will also enable fish to remain longer in the shallow waters as well as keep feeding actively.

Fall is the consistently best time for night fishing.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Another option to drifting or trolling crawler harnesses; 1/4 ounce, or on windy days 3/8s ounce lead head jigs dragging 3" Live Gulp minnows in goby brown/green, white, or fire tiger drifted on the edge of the reefs you generally fish. Also, mid-day trolling with husky jerks run behind in-line boards along the edges of the steep break off to the east and southeast of the Days, off the Gladstone beach and mouth of the Escanaba in the "Black Bottoms" area where you also may pick-up perch. Keep in mind that the warmer surface water will build-up on that east shore, particularly on windy days, so if the bay is cold, it may be productive. If the water is warm, the depths on the west side will get the fish out of the bright mid-day sun rays penetration. Wind generated surface chop will also enable fish to remain longer in the shallow waters as well as keep feeding actively.

Fall is the consistently best time for night fishing.
I will say you are correct about the wind when it was dead calm fishing was much slower as soon as it picked up the bite was on especially on the river speed was key for us 1.3 was key slower you caught bullhead faster we wouldn't get bit hardly ever not saying you won't but that's what worked for us

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I will say you are correct about the wind when it was dead calm fishing was much slower as soon as it picked up the bite was on especially on the river speed was key for us 1.3 was key slower you caught bullhead faster we wouldn't get bit hardly ever not saying you won't but that's what worked for us
The physiologic data on post-spawn walleye essentially underscores that they spend two to four weeks post-spawn absorbing the unspawned eggs and sperm prior feeding again routinely Fish in the north half of Green Bay move around alot, while those in the southern reaches are more stationary from the tagging study data. The joint task force just finished putting a monitoring grid array throughout the bays to keep better track of fish equipped with acoustic tags throughout the year, which will improve biologists understanding of how much tansboundary movement occurs

Round gobies move back into the inshore shallows from deepwater areas where they overwinter. basically putting them back on the "table" for post-spawn walleyes. Before the invasive mussels proliferated water clarity was much lower, particularly in the tannic acid stained plumes of the Whitefish, Tacoosh, Days, and Rapid dumping-into the north end of the LBDN. When we are drifting harnesses on sunny days, painted blades of brass blades work better. I should get off my lazy butt and makes some with copper blades. Three years ago we were fishing the plume of the Ogontz north of the Big River access ramp. We could litterallysee schools of walleye in the 6-12' deep water, but could not get them to bite until we started using brass or fire tiger blades and half a crawler. Frustrating fish to catch sometimes..

·
Registered
543 Posts
Interesting statement because those were our 2 best baits I also feel like when the river is stained white glow is your best friend before I come every year I order floating harnesses for walleyes choice can't beat his selection

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Interesting statement because those were our 2 best baits I also feel like when the river is stained white glow is your best friend before I come every year I order floating harnesses for walleyes choice can't beat his selection
White for contrast against the background space-light; red , flourescent red, or orange are all good choices for tannic acid stained waters. There was a bait color selector marketed some years back that was based on the impact of suspended and dissolved "stuff" in the water column and how it impacts waveband penetration in the visible light spectrum. Brown stained water will absorb all visible light wavebands, but reflects red/orange end of the spectrum Not to state that other colors won't work since they would appear as black or gray against the background space light. Motor oil soft plastic Twister tails work well in shallower water on sunny days I do really well on smallmouth on the Silver Lake basin working the log jam cover around the periphery, particularly near the stream inflows with motor oil beetle spins I don't eat the fish, but they are one of my favorite fish to catch.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Strangely, as a group, the color that performed the
best for us was purple. Most of the walleye I caught
was on a solid purple (blade and beads) crawler harness.
I did catch one on a hammered brass and white beads
harness.

When using floaters, I prefer either orange and
yellow or orange and white, but no success for me with
those at all, not even perch.

I will admit that I am far from an expert, the guys I fish
with are far more experienced and they struggled also.
Just a strange week for us, but as I said, we still enjoyed
our annual June trip and we're going back next year. It's
a great get away for us. Love the area and the place we stay.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Only thing we run in LBDN is purple or pink and purple. Geneva Perfect 10 by far outshines any other lure hands down.
We go up around memorial and in October and November. Feel free to p.m. me next year and I'll let ya know what's going on

·
Registered
543 Posts
It is nice to get reports from people that actually fish in a hard fishery like that definitely sportsman on here by the way Ike we always go the first full week in June so if you want have a beer I'm all for it

1 - 20 of 34 Posts