Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this last year. I have relatively new blades and they are still not cutting good.(Haven't cut well even out of the package) This is my second or third set that has cut like this. Any Ideas?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Check where the blades were manufactured maybe? For awhile strikemaster was making their Lazer hand auger blades in China... and they were terrible. They replaced those with Swedish made ones

Probably not your issue, but maybe

·
Registered
266 Posts
remove the blades and flip the auger upside down so your looking at the cutting end if the auger. Take a bigger crescent wrench and slightly tug upwards on the end of the auger where the blades go on both sides. Don't go nuts here you only need a slight tug. This is actually making the auger over aggressive but it worked for me. I was ready to pitch it but now it cuts like new again. Actually had a guy at strikemaster tell me to try this. I was so flippen angry. He said try this before throwing it out.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
remove the blades and flip the auger upside down so your looking at the cutting end if the auger. Take a bigger crescent wrench and slightly tug upwards on the end of the auger where the blades go on both sides. Don't go nuts here you only need a slight tug. This is actually making the auger over aggressive but it worked for me. I was ready to pitch it but now it cuts like new again. Actually had a guy at strikemaster tell me to try this. I was so flippen angry. He said try this before throwing it out.
This sounds like it could work... Best advice I have got on her in a while! So basically adjusting the pitch??
Thank man!

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,434 Posts
It is almost always the reason they fail to cut, and it doesn't take much to throw them out of whack. It's why you should never plop the auger down on its cutting edge. Another thing to avoid is when running it up and down in the hole to clear hole, you never bring the cutting edge back into contact with the hole, until your ready to remove it, and then you ease it out. Donny Armstrong taught me the crescent wrench trick back in the 80's. Nothing more maddening then going fishing and the auger doesn't drill because you banged the cutting edge.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just remember a little goes a long way. You don't want to actually feel the metal bend up. If it does you went to much. Just a little upward pressure does the trick.

·
Registered
399 Posts
you can always put a shim between the blade and the head before you go tweaking the cutting angle with a wrench. insert a strip of metal from a pop can and tighten down the bolts. give it a test and add more shims if needed, then there's no fear of over bending the head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts