Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had lazer blades reground at j&j near lakeside and now it won't even cut at all. has anyone had blades resharpened? do they have to go back to strikemaster or can any place grind them? they seem razor sharp but won't cut..good excuse to buy the 5 inch model next year i guess

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm sure this wont help much, but I have a 7" model that I just replaced the blades on last season with brand new ones. It cut good for about 15 holes then just gave out. I contacted StrikeMaster and told them about it and they're sending me another set of brand new blades right now. They told me that it could be out of balance and they could repair it if I sent it to them but to try the new blades first. I'm assuming these blades they're sending are free. Cuz I'm not paying for them. If they send a bill I'll send them back. I just bought a brand new 6" from Lakeside Fishing Shop and boy oh boy does that thing rip through 13 inches of ice like a breeze. I never knew what a difference only 1 inch less of bore size could do. There is a post in here somewhere about a siccors shop on Little Mack just south of 11 Mile Rd. that does an excellent job sharpening them blades, and cheap too. Good luck !! ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi ya Mudpuppy...
On Lazer's not cutting. Be it known that they STILL have their blade trade in program up and running; cost for any size lazer hand auger blades is $16 + $2.50 S&H. And, from what I can tell, this seems like it might not be too bad a price given all the bad stories I have heard over the years. I have never heard of anyone else ever getting thir blades properly resharpened (them done right) so that they work like new. Guess it's kinda like everything else in life... ya gets what ya pays for.

I can't help but think that Yellowbelli problems, and probably quite a few others who have had the same problemo's, are more likely caused by the auger ends being bumped just enough to knocking their alignment off. And, that it might only take a short hair of misalignment to cause serious cutting problems.

Strikemaster now has a hand sharpener available ($5.99 at Cabela's) which can be used for short term fix (http://www.strikemaster.com/store/blades.html). But, I think the only way to get them to work like new, is to send em back to who made em, where they can load them into what ever kinda of a machine they redo em with, or just buy new. I don't think local sharpener people can match the bevel they put on them when they are made. Even their Lazer Deluxe Hand Sharpener changes the original bevel, which is why they say it is for temporary use while out on the ice. I am sending mine in and plan on keeping a spare set on hand.

Strikemaster Blade Exchange Service is at http://www.strikemaster.com/store/bladeexchange.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Cotton Road Kid Here!

I took my Blades to J&J Sharpening and when I got them back, they would not even cut a hole. I had marked the blades so I am sure I put them back in the same location. I switched sides and the blades then cut but not very good. I could not stand it any longer so I went in and bought a new set! Looks like I should send the blades in to Strikemaster! The new blades cost $26 that's about $5 more than the exchange program!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts