Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Looks like a nice set-up.

Just curious, why don't you allow waders in the layout? Not sure I've heard of that before.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Looks like a nice set-up.

Just curious, why don't you allow waders in the layout? Not sure I've heard of that before.
I have hunted with a few guys that don't where waiters, because if you go in the water you cannot swim with them on,your feet float up to the surface, and if you don't have a life jacket on your in deep if the tender not on you right now, some guy also where boots, untied so they can kick them off fast if they go in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
I have hunted with a few guys that don't where waiters, because if you go in the water you cannot swim with them on,your feet float up to the surface, and if you don't have a life jacket on your in deep if the tender not on you right now, some guy also where boots, untied so they can kick them off fast if they go in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
hrm. i swam pretty good in mine. floated like a bobber. I displace a little more water than most i guess. I don't think i would hunt a layout without a c02 style preserver....but i've never done it and guessin that might not be ideal for shooting....idunno. Also guessing waders are pointless once your in water over your head.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I would think a pfd with mesh shoulders would make it easier to shoot and that neoprene waders would keep you warm if you did end up in the water. They will make you float flat on your back but as long as you don't fight it you should be OK. Also a pocket pen flare gun would be a must so you could signal the tender. Steve

·
Registered
606 Posts
hrm. i swam pretty good in mine. floated like a bobber. I displace a little more water than most i guess. I don't think i would hunt a layout without a c02 style preserver....but i've never done it and guessin that might not be ideal for shooting....idunno. Also guessing waders are pointless once your in water over your head.
This ^....totally agree.....I've swam in both breathable and neoprene waders, neither will sink you.

Now if you panic, that will be more of an issue than any article of clothing that you're wearing.

The issue of cold water is what kills more people than the fact they were wearing waders.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Plain and simple waders will drowned u in deep water. What ever minimal experiences uve had falling in the water at the draw is nothing to being in the lake in 3' rollers. U don't wear waders layout hunting it's dangerous.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
Plain and simple waders will drowned u in deep water. What ever minimal experiences uve had falling in the water at the draw is nothing to being in the lake in 3' rollers. U don't wear waders layout hunting it's dangerous.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
that may not really be a true statement... I may be wrong... so please help with the data that supports that statement...

there is a lot of layout shooting done in flats where cover isn't available and in shallow water... less than 4' of water... and we have plenty of fatalities in shallow water

and a good PFD is always a good answer... did I mention that a good PFD is a good idea...

most charter captains won't allow you to hunt a layout without a PFD...

I would also add that hunting open water without a licensed charter captain is just plain silly...

if shooting takes a front seat to safety... than you will probably doing the genic food chain a favor...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.