Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I no that layout bopat are the cats meow for diver hunting but what kind should i get?
Should i make one myself our buy one already made?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I think that most are going to say go with a MLB (Mighty Layout Boys). I hear that they are comfortable and Mark the owner is a top notch guy!!!

I do not own one but a classic will be the first one that I purchase! After meeting him you see that he is in it for the love of the sport and his passion comes out in his products!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya we have been looking for the mlb ufo i think? Its a one man

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
As with most purchases with waterfowling, you need to evaluate a number of things...

-do you want a boat you can tow or are you willing to pull it onboard everytime
-which one is a more comfortable fit (your height, weight, etc...)
-what type of water are you hunting (calm, rough, etc...)
-what are you willing to spend
-etc... etc...

We own 2 Bankes Hercules and absolutely love them. We can tow them behind the boat at full speed, can stand up in them in a heavy chop, etc... But they are expensive ($2100+), need to be trailered, are heavy, etc...

It's all personal preference...we simply wanted a rough water boat that we could tow (ie, we opted for safety). I've hunted the smaller MLB and love the low profile. But I found my feet cramped and didn't like having to lift it onboard everytime.

If you're looking for a 1-man MLB, PM me, I have a buddy who's selling his. It was use only a few times and is in mint condition (he just bought a Hercules).

·
Registered
25 Posts
GUys could you get me prices on the layout boats? thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
could you guys get me the prices on them L-boats? Thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
younggun7 said:
ya we have been looking for the mlb ufo i think? Its a one man
MLBs one man boats are the Classic and the Supermag, I have a Supermag and love it. I have hunted from a Classic and it is very cramped for me to use so I bought the bigger boat. Mark Rongers is the owner of the company and is a world class individual, give him a call and talk with him about layouts.

The only one I know of on this board with a UFO is Lawnboy (they are manufactured by Waterfowl Works), I have not hunted from one but have seen posts on numerous forums that guys are liking them and have seen plenty of pics with dead birds to show that they are very effective.

With layout boats you really need to go to some shows where you can try them on for size and see what will work best for you.

Busick makes nice layouts as does Bankes.

The Supermag is around $1200.00 - $1300.00, I think a UFO is similar in price and a MLB Classic runs around $1000.00. Bankes tend to be more expensive but are "the Cadillac" of layout boats (I had a chance to hunt from one and they are like sitting in a recliner). I have no idea what a Busick runs but I would imagine they have to be under $1500.00 for a one man and Stony Point on this board I am pretty sure makes layouts you might want to check with him on his boats.

The layout is the cheap part of layout hunting, the tender and decoys will cost the $ and you absolutely have to have a crew that works well together to be able to enjoy this type of hunting.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
duckcommander101 said:
The layout is the cheap part of layout hunting, the tender and decoys will cost the $ and you absolutely have to have a crew that works well together to be able to enjoy this type of hunting.
TESTIFY!

I've hunted from every major manufactured layout on the market, with the exception of a UFO.

My favorite, by far, is the MLB SuperMag, which I own.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i've not bought a boat from Mark - but i used to live about 15 miles from him when i was in IN. While i can't testify to the boat - i have purchased a trailer and several smaller items from MLB and you will not deal w/ better people.

do your homework - one or two of the manufacturers (whom I won't name) - I have heard from several sources - are less than desirable to deal with.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
thedude said:
do your homework - one or two of the manufacturers (whom I won't name) - I have heard from several sources - are less than desirable to deal with.
Some people might now care how much of an azz the owner is, they just care about the quality of the boat. If people cared more about the reputation of the owner...that one company would have folded before it even started it's copy craft...

Question to youngun7--how tall are you and how much do you weigh? There are different boats for different folks (three one man sizes in the MLB line). Then, like Trippin' Dipsies said...much should depend upon how you intend to use the boat. I am a run and gun kinda guy so having a big towable would not suit my needs. While I would love a kevlar Classic...my glass one suits my needs just fine. Some guests find it a little cramped but, I didn't buy the boat for them...besides, I don't get in the box to ge all comfy...I get in to kill ducks and switch out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts