Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a layout boat i have ben searching the web for hours only found 1 set of plans and not a very good details on it if some one Knows of a book on them that would help.As for the duckhunting been doing ok in the sag.bay whent out of gambels landing on 11-19 2 guys shot our limit mixed bag of divers and 2 mergansers went out the mouth of the sag. river yester day shot nothing dut goldin eye I have a large boat blind and they are geting shy the lay out boats did much better than i did

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you want a TRUE Lake Erie style Layout Boat, the ONLY place for plans is from Paul Busick. Personally, that is something I prefer to purchase.

Boats By Busick
174 Edgewood Drive
Amherst, Ohio 44001
(440) 988-7160

By the time you spend $50 for the plans, $500 for materials... what's your time worth? You're going to have a TON of hours in it. Paul will sell you a Glass boat also, as will MLB, and a couple of others out there.

I'd rather carve decoys :yikes: ;)

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
SafetyMan said:
By the time you spend $50 for the plans, $500 for materials... what's your time worth? You're going to have a TON of hours in it. Paul will sell you a Glass boat also, as will MLB, and a couple of others out there.

I'd rather carve decoys :yikes: ;)
Your logic can be used against you in this case. ;) How much is your time worth carving those blocks? Personally, I'd rather buy my decoys and build my boat. I guess it all depends on what you like to do, and what you can do.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
The summer before last, I built a layout boat using plans from this website: http://www.marsh-monster.com/.

The plans have some error and I modified them considerably. I made the hull height higher and changed the shape some. I did so to allow size 12 boots to fit in the boat without being spayed heal to heal. I like the boat.

I happen to have more time than money in my life. I like to build boats and decoys.

I hope this helps.

John Singer

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Stay away from the MarshMonster plans... Dennis is a friend of mine, but I've seen boats built with those plans, and the amount of modifications needed are tough on a novice.

You can't go wrong with Busick.

Lucky Dog said:
Your logic can be used against you in this case. ;) How much is your time worth carving those blocks? Personally, I'd rather buy my decoys and build my boat. I guess it all depends on what you like to do, and what you can do.
That's what my *Wink* was for in my post. By the time I finish a decoy, I've got $40-$45 into it... not counting my time. But I do buy unpainted Herters, burlap and paint them, for around $85-$90 a dozen, so there I save money, but again, what's my time worth.....

I'm not saying don't build a boat. Build it, enjoy it :D

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The Kara Hummer is a great boat for a lot of things. It paddles and poles very well and it can get you back into some pretty tight areas. I have also used for big water layout hunting for divers and it did very well. However if you are stictly looking for a layout boat for big water that will be tendered everywhere I think there are better boats for that. Do a google search for lake erie style and pumpkin style boats and there are several different places you can order plans from that are similar to the popular Mighty Layout type boats.
Also, to build the Kara w/ plans, materials, etc. cost me about $350. I can't factor in my time because it was so much fun to build!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts