Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
DTrain said:
Is there anything that does work?
I tried some treats from a local feed store and they actually worked for my golden. I can't remember the name, though. When I get home tonihgt, I'll check and let you know.

·
Registered
111 Posts
They seem to be working on my lawn(sod). Started giving them to my 14 month old lab this spring and I have not found any more dead spots. I have raked out the dead spots and they are starting to green over. Seriously, I really thought these tablets were just a gimick, but they seem to be doing the trick.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
DTrain said:
Is there anything that does work?
The best thing I have found is to make sure your dog has plenty of fresh water and that you keep your lawn watered. (and I tried plenty of pills, treats)

Also, DO NOT fertilize the lawn that your dog is in, just water it more. If you fertilize, it will actually increase yellow spots.

Also, don't know if it just luck or what, but since I put the dog on lamb and rice, the lawn does not have as many burn spots either.

If you can't figure anything out, just raise the mower blades up so you can't see the burned spots as much.;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
As a friend of mine told me, (one who has his own landscaping business and a degree in landscape architecture from MSU) the only way to guarantee prevention of burn spots from dog urine is to run around behind them with the hose and immediately dilute the urine with water. Female dogs make worse spots, but males that pee in one spot can make them too. Yes, it is caused by an increased concentration of nitrogen, so putting lime on to change the pH won't work, and fertilizer will definately hurt it. Notice how much greener the grass around the burn spot looks?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've used the tablets and they help. Not a complete cure but they definately help. I suppose if I upped the dose it'd help more. I've quite using them since I ran out a couple months ago. My new philosophy is "F it, back yards with dogs were meant to have burn spots."

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Once upon a time I had a nicely manicured well groomed and perfectly landscaped backyard.....then I got this stupid bird dawg!

Increasing water didn't do anything for me as my sprinkler system ran nearly every day last summer.

At this point I would be happy if they all peed in a different spot and put it out of its misery. Maybe if I shut down my backyard zones for the sprinkler I can get a uniform shade of yellow. Less cutting frees up more time for other actvities...................like picking up dog poop!:dizzy:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
No Joel, Once upon a time you had a stupid manicured, well groomed and perfectly landscaped backyard.... then you got a nice bird dog.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
DTrain said:
Has anyone tried these? Do they work?
I thought they tasted a little bitter, but my wife says I am not killing as much of the grass around the barn. So as long as she is happy.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Shotgun Kennel said:
I thought they tasted a little bitter, but my wife says I am not killing as much of the grass around the barn. So as long as sh is happy.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also thanks for setting me straight Dave...it was a simple transposition error!!;)
He is laying under the desk being a perfect dog for the moment!!!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I use these and they work great:
http://www.millenniumlawns.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=24

I gave my male Golden 3-4 per day last year, and there was no yellowing. I ran out, and did not buy anymore this spring, and the yellow spots returned. I bought some more about a month ago, and no more yellow spots. I don't fertilize my lawn, and my dog has as much water as he wants (his water dish is always refilled - I can't "force" him to drink anymore than he wants), and I rarely water the back yard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts