Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday 2-22-04 after leave the St. joe Outing I traveled along the river checking out the boat launchs and this is what I found.

Jasper Dairy Launch
There was 2 boat launched Sunday off this ramp. But there is a 12" to 18" drop from the top of the selfice to the ramp. The boat that were launched was a small 14' jon boat and a drift boat.

Benton Township Launch
The Ice in front of the launch is gone but is still on the ramp. It looks like someone was down there tring to push the ice off the ramp with a plow.

I will keep an eye on the ramps for the next couple of day to see if anyone cleans them off. The river has opened up all the way down to the DNR launch in Benton Harbor.

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Hey Steve, glad to meet ya this weekend, and thank you very much for checking the conditions for us"distant visitors"!
I went to the Benton launch after I said goodbye to you. I took an extension pole outta the truck, and actually pushed some pretty big floating chunks out of the launch area. I sure hope no one was downstream.:eek:
I also took as much ice melter as I had in a 5 gal bucket and tried to spread it evenly in a one lane type area to help the ramp ice go away sooner.I sure would like to get back on the lower stretch this weekend and avoid the upper stretch traffic!

Thanks for the current reports.:)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hey Dan,

where are you going to launch for the tournament? I can try to get to the launch if you launch from 94 to the rivermouth. From the looks of the river today, the WHOLE RIVER is open! Right out to the trail bridge. Hopefully it'll stay open for ya! Good luck on the tourney....I'll be busy that day ;) with other 'stuff'. lol 4 more days for me too!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan,

I went down to the launch last night and took a good look at the Ice on the ramp. If you would like, with some help from a few buddies I could have that ramp open for this weekend?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hey Steve,

what would it take to open that ramp up? I could do it either tonight or thursday right after work. I leave work at 4pm and i do need to get home before 7pm each night. I will help ya open her up if we can...maybe we won't need to after all this warm weather!!! :cool: Let me know...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ben

The ramp has about 4"-5" of ice for about 10' down to the water. I think that a couple of hits with the spud in the right places could bust the ice into manageable chunks that we could push out into the river or pick up and move off to the sides. I'm trying to get a hold of a buddy that as a plow that could just push it out into the river and send it on its way.

I could work on it to night or Thursday after work but I will not be able to get out of work till 4:30.

Dan,

If we do this you can then hold our tourny down here this weekend. All the snow in the parking lot should be melted by then with the warm weather they are forecasting for this week.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
How far down the river is the ice clear? I doubt it is out to the mouth yet, but... I have an itch for Sunday that needs scratchin', and some fresh smelt that needs soakin'. Thanks in advance for the heads up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am going down to the Benton Township launch Wed. after work with salt, spud, and a chainsaw to try to open the launch up so we can use it this weekend...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey live2fishdjs,

The Ice Is OUT. This morning the piers were even open.
and with this weather it can only get better.

Steelhead,

hopefully there will be ice left for you to do that Wens. I need to get out of the house tonight for a while so I was going to head down there and do a little work. I'll let you know tomorrow morning how far I got. Maybe save you a trip.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
call me when you get out of work...or better yet, call me at work...i'll send pm with numbers

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Holy Cow, that would be so cool. I wish I didn't live 70 minutes away, I would slide down too.Steve that would be great if we could launch there instead of Shamrock. I know we would all appreciate it! I would most deffinately be in your debt for awhile, not to mention Troy and Tom's too. You guys are really a big help, and I am gettin pretty excited about the comming weekend!
Thanks for making my day.:) :)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If anyone in the area is interested in helping Salmonslayer, Adjusted3, and Myself will be down at the launch tonight at around 5:00-5:30 to put the hurt to the ice/or our backs which ever come first.

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
You guys better not hurt your backs. Don't try to do the whole ramp, just maybe a 8' wide slot so one lane can launch, and maybe toss some salt on the other part and let mother nature take care of it. One lane would be great, and it will help the surrounding area melt easier once there is a slot cut through the slab.

I will be on the river fishing on thurs, and when I get there or finish, I will also do some removal of the ice along with my crew. I sure hope the charters appreciate it.:cool:

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
OK you guys got me feelin guilty, and fired up, I have emailed a few with our plan, and I am comming down too, I will be bringing 2 other able bodies with me. We will be leaving Kazoo around 4:30 and expect to get to the ramp around 5:40.
I will make a few more calls before I leave.Sounds like a small army of dedicated anglers are gonna woop some....ice!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
hey Dan,

two-way me when you hit Coloma exit tonight...by that time Steve and I should have at least 30 mins in on that ice...depending on how it is going...you may not have to drive the rest of the way down. If somehow we don't catch up...i'll see ya tonight!

Man, I wish I could go fishin this weekend, but something is up...now what was that...humm...maybe...naw that ain't it...oh yeah, I just re-read my signature...lol
:D

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Ben,,,,

the launch is completely clear, I had my wife drive past it about 5 min ago.

We are thinking about still getting together though

Mark

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Anyone know if the Shamrock launch is open. Remember 5 miles an hour or else! :eek: ;):cool:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thanks guy's! I'll post my success if i get over there this weekend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts